differential gear swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new around here. Been reading lots of your posts and have learned a ton already, thx. I have an 07 EL limited 4x4. Put a rough country front leveling kit on and kept the rear air ride. Then I put on 285/60r20 Goodyear Wrangler duratracks. Which equals 33.5 tall, no rubbing. Stoked! I pull a boat and a travel trailer throughout the year and am wondering if anyone has done a differential gear change? I have the 3.73s, and w the new meats I am wondering about strain in the drivetrain, trans etc. Thx in advance for any info/knowledge.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Do you have a programmer? That will really help firm up the shifts and cut down on heat and extend the life of the trans.

A gear swap will cost you in the neighborhood of a grand, if you have a shop do it for you. I wouldn't bother with it, unless you move up to a 35" + tire.

OP
OP
drokmofo

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx Tony. Haven't purchased a programmer yet. Do u recommend 1 over others? I have a hypertech for my 2000 chevy, and superchips flashpaq for my 1996 chevy, both solid axle swapped w dana 44s. I like the superchips better.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my SCT X4. I got some custom tunes from MPT performance. I haven't towed more than a small trailer with it but shifts are firm and mileage is up on the MPG tune.

OP
OP
drokmofo

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the sct x3. craig's list $225. made expy feel like it did w factory size tires. with the standard 87 0ctane tune and adjusted tire revs, mileage increased 1-5 mpg depending on stop and go. haven't done the other tunes yet. thx for the info to those who posted. :Rock on: