DIY Car Smell Eliminator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zmann96

Reaction score
I purchased a 2013 EXPY, when I went to look at it the dealer already had all the doors and back hatch open. I didn't notice and bad smell.
After I got it home on the following day I noticed a bad smell. I looked all over for food that was hidden from sight and found nothing. I started googling the issue and found out many had the same issue. I learned about the plugged AC drain and how it can over flow.

I started looking around for a permanent solution rather than buying scented air fresheners that just mask the smell. I found a mothers product. It's called odor eliminator and refresher. It's a fogger, you place it on the front console ( I put mine in cup holder), start the car, turn the AC on full blast and push down on the fogger button and shut the door and let it run for 15 minutes.
I did mine a week and a half ago and it's still good. It said it eliminates so it's not supposed to have to be repeated again and again. I would imagine if you have a leak and it sits and grows mold after you do this you'll have to repeat.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ozium Is scary effective in vehicles. If you had a body in the trunk it covers up the odor so well that cadaver dogs can't sense it.

Me, I'm going to use this in my truck tonight so I can pretend to know why she's dead.

v267h6wwhdr61.jpg

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha. That has to be one of the most offensive smells in a vehicle.

Good to know on the options. Ozone generators do an amazing job as well, just don't overdue it with constant use. It takes its toll on plastics and rubber.

Did the fogger leave any residue on windows or surfaces?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have used charcoal in old cars to eliminate odors, the regular barbecue charcoal not the easy light stuff.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Good to know on the options. Ozone generators do an amazing job as well, just don't overdue it with constant use. It takes its toll on plastics and rubber.

I dont know, it caught on fire before it went off the cliff.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't leave residue, but, you shouldnt go in it for several hours after.

Not going in until it dissipates makes sense. I was just curious if it left anything behind that needed wiped away. Good to know if ever needed. I just hate solving a problem by creating another is all.

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score

No residue