Does your Expy burn LOTS of oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamNeedsInfo

Reaction score
We have had too many issues for a brand new vehicle (2019 Expy MAX), IMO. I posted in March 2020 @ 6K miles about the timing chain, axle seal leak, & pinion seal problems that apparently were causing the hesitation/lag issues I was experiencing (see previous post for more details).

Well, the same symptoms resurfaced a year later (this past March @ 12,800 miles). But this time, they got a PO365 code, which they said indicated a problem with the camshaft position sensor. Their findings were that my Expy was burning/losing lots of oil, enough to cause the camshaft position sensor error and hesitation/lag. But apparently not enough to hurt the engine? And why isn’t there a check oil light?? Anyways, they couldn’t find any leaks, so they think all that oil is actually being consumed. They suggested we conduct an oil consumption test (and I heard that term thrown around so much while I was in there that it gave me the impression they do that a lot).

I took it in a few weeks ago, but they said I waited too long (7k miles) for the test. But regardless, it was 2 quarts low!! That sure sounds excessive to me, but the service guy said that was typical and not unexpected in today’s vehicles?? I’ve never owned a vehicle that burns this much oil, but I’ve never had a big truck. So, what is your experience? Does your Expy burn this much oil??

PS - I also took it in a few weeks ago to have chrome grill replaced due to bubbling. Just another frustrating experience that I should not be having so soon.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 quarts sounds excessive in between a normal oil change interval. I just changed mine but didn't monitor closely as I was in hurry but I will next change and report back.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have had too many issues for a brand new vehicle (2019 Expy MAX), IMO. I posted in March 2020 @ 6K miles about the timing chain, axle seal leak, & pinion seal problems that apparently were causing the hesitation/lag issues I was experiencing (see previous post for more details).

Well, the same symptoms resurfaced a year later (this past March @ 12,800 miles). But this time, they got a PO365 code, which they said indicated a problem with the camshaft position sensor. Their findings were that my Expy was burning/losing lots of oil, enough to cause the camshaft position sensor error and hesitation/lag. But apparently not enough to hurt the engine? And why isn’t there a check oil light?? Anyways, they couldn’t find any leaks, so they think all that oil is actually being consumed. They suggested we conduct an oil consumption test (and I heard that term thrown around so much while I was in there that it gave me the impression they do that a lot).

I took it in a few weeks ago, but they said I waited too long (7k miles) for the test. But regardless, it was 2 quarts low!! That sure sounds excessive to me, but the service guy said that was typical and not unexpected in today’s vehicles?? I’ve never owned a vehicle that burns this much oil, but I’ve never had a big truck. So, what is your experience? Does your Expy burn this much oil??

PS - I also took it in a few weeks ago to have chrome grill replaced due to bubbling. Just another frustrating experience that I should not be having so soon.

2 quarts per 7k miles will probably make it pass the oil consumption test. I guess they consider up to one quart per 1k miles normal oil consumption.

However, these engines are not known for high oil consumption, so there is probably something wrong. The PCV system would be the first thing to check. I would install an oil catch can and monitor the consumption.

Regardless of oil consumption, these engines are pretty rough on oil, so I would never go beyond 5,000 miles between oil changes.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 no oil use that’s measurable
I do avoid volatile cheap oils. For example the euro spec Mobile 1 stopped getting sold in the US around 2006 the cheap highly volatile blend they sell now triggered an instant high oil useage in all three of my vehicles at that time which never had oil use before that oil change. In two vehicles 93 Landcruiser with 100,000 miles it was a over night 3 quart every 3000 miles burn rate. The 2.8T vw with 30,000 went from zero measurable to 3-4quarts every 3500 miles. The Subaru a zero use car for 90,000 started wanting 1.5 quarts every 4000miles.
A second Mobile 1 change all three same results triggered some research where I discovered Mobile 1 no longer sold high quality Euro spec oil in the US. Old switcheroo trick. I switched to boring yet super high quality Chevron oils and immediately was back to zero consumption in all three vehicles!!!!

Yes oil matters today and there is some real garbage out there today with high volatility that results in sizable oil consumption especially in the newer hot running engines

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Zero oil consumption in 8K miles. I recently changed to the 15w-50, same spec as the Ford GT Ecoboost HO, barely had any oil in the catch can, not enough to cover the bottom of the can.
Check out this Mobil 1 Spec Chart, it lists the Phosphorus & Zinc levels by oil.

Attachments

• mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide (1).pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 12

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues but they definitely overfilled me last time I was in... leaks intermittently in my driveway and garage! I wonder whether this was a rush job or if they do this to reduce the number of complaints about low oil/burning oil.

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
Zero oil consumption in 8K miles. I recently changed to the 15w-50, same spec as the Ford GT Ecoboost HO, barely had any oil in the catch can, not enough to cover the bottom of the can.
Check out this Mobil 1 Spec Chart, it lists the Phosphorus & Zinc levels by oil.
What made you decide to use such a thick oil? Not all 3.5 Ecoboost engines are internally the same. That weight might take longer to build oil pressure, that's thicker than the recommended weight for a 6.7 Powerstroke. Maybe racing and operating in a high RPM will be a good oil choice.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What made you decide to use such a thick oil? Not all 3.5 Ecoboost engines are internally the same. That weight might take longer to build oil pressure, that's thicker than the recommended weight for a 6.7 Powerstroke. Maybe racing and operating in a high RPM will be a good oil choice.
Not to mention some of the issues related to oil feed would be worse with 50 weight lol
Heck I only run 40 in my 1982 diesel tractor.

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
The oil clearances in modern engines are super tight. Heavier oil will have a hard time getting where it needs to be, staying there, providing the lubrication and cooling properties vs a 30 weight. At cold startup, that oil is going play hell with the cam phasers, at operating temp not as much. If you do have a warranty issue, mums the word,
And dump that shit before ford finds it.

Knut

Reaction score
I only use FULL SYNTHETIC OIL and tow a Travel trailer during summer months.
I don't see any measurable oil burn.