Dome and puddle lights won't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john shelman

Reaction score
All of a sudden, the dome and puddle lights won't. Go off when i close the door, in fact now, they stay on all the time. I can turn the dome and cargo lights off with the switch on the fixtures, but to get the puddle lights off, I have to rotate the dimmer switch on the dash downward till it clicks but none of them will operate with the doors. One strange thing, we were just sitting there one night, vehicle locked. And suddenly they came on. Went out and opened and closed all the doors. Lights went off a few minutes later, back on. I have 2003 Expedition xlt.....what is going on?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same issue on my 3rd gen and in my case it was the door switch. Sometimes they would stay on. Other times they would come on at random while driving. You can soak the mechanism down with rust penetrant or silicone and if it works, continue to do so every time the problem returns until it no longer works. The actual fix though (assuming the source of your problem is the same) is replacing the switch. Cheap, but a PITA.