Door protection in garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCM1519

Reaction score
I have to pak my car and new Expedition close enough together that door dings will be a constant problem.

Years ago, I heard of something that could hang on the door window and protect the door below it.

Does anyone here know of such a product?

Thanks

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no but there are door guards that you can put on the edge of the door and they will decrease dings...so if you put the guards on the edge of the door on the car the expedition shouldnt get dings...vice versa...theyre black channel rubber tuges that are stylish to put on the doors...put them on both and shouldnt have any probs

OP
OP
D

DCM1519

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I forgot about those door edge guards because we have gone so long with only one car in the garage. Now, the new Expedition is so large that there is limited room from the vehicles.

I will find some this week.

Thanks again for the reminder. It should help.

TexasAngel34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool idea, need to get some for mine, to bad other people wont, cant prevent other people from dinging up my doors of course unless you park really far away from people lol...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
DCM, here is an idea. Go to your local craft store and find yourself a block of foam rubber that is about 4" thick, about 10" in height and about 6 feet long. Now, stop by another section of the craft store and pick up some twine or thin rope. What you are going to do is to go in about a foot on each end and push the rope through the foam rubber going through the 10" of foam (running the rope up and down inside foam). Leave yourself about 6 feet of rope hanging out the top. Once you have the rope inside the foam, go out to the garage and hang the foam from the ceiling such that the foam will hang about 2-3 feet off of the floor. TADA!!!!!!!! now, when you open up the doors, the foam rubber will cushion the one door as it comes close to touching the other door. As you walk by, you push the foam out of the way.

If your garage door comes too far back into the garage, you can do the same thing cutting two pieces of 1/2" plywood into 12x12" squares. Then, get your hands on some 1/8" steel rod. Drill an 1/8" hole through the plywood and push the rod into the hole (rod will hold itself in the hole due to friction, so, may need to use a drill bit that is slightly less than 1/8" to make sure you get a nice tight fit). Then you push the foam rubber on to the metal rods. If you open the doors up, the thin metal rods will flex and allow the foam rubber to remain between the two doors and worst case, you move the foam rubber back and forth between the cars to keep the foam rubber fairly close to a vehicle at all times to make it easy to walk by.

OP
OP
D

DCM1519

Reaction score
Thermo

Thanks for the idea. That would be an easy way to protect both cars. Yesterday, I hung a long rug (soft) out the window of the new Expedition and it will work but be a nuicance once I can drive again and have to do it every day. Your idea is great.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
DCM, that is why we are here. I have "crazy" ideas floating through my head all the time. Granted, I can't take credit for it as they make a product like this that uses a blow up tube (think a skinny mattress like you would use in a pool). It hung from the ceiling. I just modified it to be something that you can pick up without having to drive all over the place. If you want to provide a little bit more protection to the paint job, have the wife sew up a cover to go on the foam out of say some terry cloth or the like. That way, even if it rubs side to side against a vehicle, the soft cloth will only slide, not scratch the paint.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to suggest hanging a pool noodle or inflatable raft between the vehicles, but foam might be better.

OP
OP
D

DCM1519

Reaction score
Your suggestions made me think of another material to mind and that would be a piece of heavy transparent plastic such as a piece of an office desk floor mat.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
DCM, while this will probably prevent dings from occurring in the vehicles, I think you will find that it is going to lead to a lot of scratches on the sides of your vehicles. You want something soft. That plastic is going to be too hard and lead to other issues.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition