Protective Mats of All Sorts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Epic Dad

Reaction score
Since I use my Expedition as a work truck in addition to a family mobile I wanted to get some good grade mats for all around protection. As the owner of a construction company I don’t have to worry about destroying my vehicle like I did back in the day when I was the main laborer in the field however because I purchased a Platinum I want to protect the investment for when I do move materials around.

I decided to go with the actual Ford brand of rear cargo liner because it velcros in and doesn’t slip around like Weather Tec’s does or other mats. Ford put a very capable velcro on the back so it stays in place perfectly which helps keep my loads from sliding around. Years ago I had a Weather Tec mat and it always slid around with loads on top of it. Furthermore, I love that the the mat is split so I can put down the 60/40 bench one side or both. Also it folds really nicely where the third row crease is. If you buy another brand like Weather Tec or Husky the mat will just roll over and you get a floppy mess covering your cargo.

For floor mats I went with Weather Tec. You just can’t beat their design to keep water on the mat and not rolling over. Also they look very nice and are the only brand that seems to offer a mat that goes all the way into the third row with a mat running between the captain’s chairs all as once piece. It’s really nice that it’s one unit that precisely fits into that area and not a bunch of mats all back there.

Anyways, just wanted ti share this real quick in case you guys are looking. I’ll post pics later and fix grammar later when I get a chance to come back to this. For now was in a rush to post it as I had a moment. Hope this helps ya’ll decide.

PS, I also picked up this awesome pet mat that loops around the two fron chairs and can be put down through the entire length of the vehicle. It has a really awesome rubber grip on the bottom and is water proof. It reaches all the way to the hatch so it’s perfect for putting anything extra messy down or if I hook it up on the second row and put bicycles on top of the mat I can make sure the bicycles aren’t tearing into anything and also I can wrap the blanket around the bicycles enough it’s not scraping the side plastic. Love it! It’s called the Bulldogology Pet Mat.

Attachments

• C65D7A6B-8B72-4470-B3DB-4C606ECBEC76.jpeg
    C65D7A6B-8B72-4470-B3DB-4C606ECBEC76.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 6E4F680D-3900-406A-A954-E3980FF78BC0.jpeg
    6E4F680D-3900-406A-A954-E3980FF78BC0.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 9A091CA9-B18A-49CB-A7E8-4CB0AC603720.jpeg
    9A091CA9-B18A-49CB-A7E8-4CB0AC603720.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the standard rubber mats Weather Tech makes, not the liners. Very happy with them so far. They won’t hold as much liquid/slush as the liners do, but they do protect the carpeting well, and similar (VW Monster mats) I own do hold enough.

Second and third row (Max) mats are two-piece, but they link together in the middle.

I haven’t bought the cargo liner yet; I’ll definitely look into the Ford one after your description.

bigwilly

Reaction score
Since I use my Expedition as a work truck in addition to a family mobile I wanted to get some good grade mats for all around protection. As the owner of my construction company I don’t have to worry about destroying my vehicle like I did back in the day when I was the main laborer in the field however because I purchased a Platinum I want to protect the investment for when I do move materials around.

I decided to go with the actual Ford Brand of rear cargo liner because it velcros in and doesn’t slip around like Weather Tec’s does or other miners. Ford let a very capable velcro on the back so it stays in place perfectly which helps keep my loads from sliding around. Furthermore, I love that the the mat is split so I can put down the 60/40 third down bench one side or both. Also because it folds really nicely where the third row crease is. If you buy another brand like Weather Tec or Husky the mat will just roll over and you get a floppy mess covering your cargo.

For floor mats I went with Weather Tec. You just can’t beat their cupped design to keep water on the mat and not rolling over. Also they look very nice and are the only brand that seems to offer a mat that goes all the way into the third row with a mat running between the captain’s chairs. It’s really nice that it’s one unit that precisely fits into that area and not a bunch of mats all back there.

Anyways, just wanted ti share this real quick in case you guys are looking. I’ll post pics later and fix grammar later when I get a chance to come back to this. For now was in a rush to post it as I had a moment. Hope this helps ya’ll decided.
Thanks for posting! I've been looking at the cargo mat from Ford but had not pulled the trigger on it, I will now.

Just as a data point for other who might find this thread. I ended up with the Husky Xact Contour for the front and second row mats, I have a bench second row. I had WeatherTechs in my F150 and was happy with them. Found a good deal on the Huskys for the Expedition and decided to give them a try. Still debating what to get for third row, seems like the Ford one has better coverage, but haven't found great pics of any third row ones with the second row bench.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '20 FX4 MAX came with W-Tech "like" first and second row mats. I bought a matching 3rd row mat from Ford. For the cargo area, I found a 50" x 58" Surefit Waterproof Cargo Protector at Walmart that fits the MAX cargo area with the 3rd row folded down perfectly. It is ringed in velcro that grabs the Expedition carpet. The mat is qulited and matte finished, so it keeps items from sliding around. It's also really easy to clean pet hair off of. It was under $20....Only problem is I think they are discontinuing them >:-(. If you're interested, check out your local Walmarts for stock.