Down shift clunk while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This weekend while towing our camper (5300# TT behind our '11 EL), every now and then when the transmission would shift into a lower gear to climb a hill, it would make a loud clunk noise but would still keep plugging along.

No warning lights, no power loss, or anything else. Just the clunk. Has never done this before. Shop just change the differential fluids front/rear and changed the transmission fluid.

Thoughts on what it could be? U bolt? Something else?

Knut

Reaction score
Could it be that you are just noticing the hitch clunking? I hear mine once in a while especially when breaking and the car is down shifting. Make sure you lock out the OD (over drive) when you are towing. I used to do that on my 08 Expedition EL and it would tow a lot better with less shifting.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could it be that you are just noticing the hitch clunking? I hear mine once in a while especially when breaking and the car is down shifting. Make sure you lock out the OD (over drive) when you are towing. I used to do that on my 08 Expedition EL and it would tow a lot better with less shifting.

I don't think so as it definitely feels and sounds like it is coming from the front end. Appt in the shop next Tuesday to check it out.

6S1284

Reaction score
Do you tow in Overdrive? We had this symptom in our 2008 EL and it was the Overdrive bands in the transmission. Expensive fix but covered under warranty. You should take it out of overdrive when towing that much weight. That will not correct the problem how however

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towed again this weekend. U joint was replaced but still have the clunk though not as bad. Towed the whole way in tow/hail mode. If I gain speed going down hill to get up a hill and keep foot on the gas it has less of a chance of making the noise. Mechanic found nothing out of sorts and said u joint wasn't even that bad.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mechanic (whom I trust) had looked everything over and thought it was OK. Could have him go back again.