E85 in 5.4 14'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else uses E85 in their 5.4? I was excited to finally see it and use it despite the guy in front of me filling his Tahoe with it and telling me he notices it burns really fast.
Normally I'll show "500 miles remaining" after a full fill of regular and after filling with E85 it immediately showed "400 miles remaining". I get there are a lot of variables but I was a bit surprised. Now I'm noticing sub 15mpg while on regular I was closer to 17mpg.
Curious what others have noticed. Oh... and I only saved about $10 on a full tank. If I have to sacrifice 100 miles per tank then, unfortunately, it's not worth it to me right now

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've used it many times. No doubt the MPG declines, but my manual calculation showed it didn't decline nearly as much as the computer said it did. For some reason the calculation for that first tank seems to always be off. It's so much less expensive, we get it when we can find it.

Also, after we run a tank of E85, the engine idle is so smooth and quiet, you can hardly tell it's running. No idea why, but I haven't noticed any ill effects.

OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll run a few more tanks and see how I like it. I recently had a coil replaced and something is still causing some misfires which can really be felt at idle. Feels like the whole truck shakes back and forth so I'm hoping it may be dirty injectors or lines or something and the E85 will clean it up. We'll see...
Thanks for the heads up guys

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll run a few more tanks and see how I like it. I recently had a coil replaced and something is still causing some misfires which can really be felt at idle. Feels like the whole truck shakes back and forth so I'm hoping it may be dirty injectors or lines or something and the E85 will clean it up. We'll see...
Thanks for the heads up guys

Do you have CE Light? Likely a plug or coil issue.....if you have CEL computer will tell you which cylinder is misfiring via scanner. Light vibration or heavy?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
E85 makes sense if it's 30-50% cheaper than Regular

Good E85 will run quieter and pull harder & faster than 87 octane

Decreased miles per tank means E85 can be kinda annoying on SWB though (already smaller gas tank vs EL)