Ecoboost Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the gap setting goes....the iggy system, like most in use today regardless of actual type, produces a very hot spark, enough to easily jump a .6 to 1mm gap. (The "snap" from a 1mm gapped plug is impressive to watch)

OK, that stated, we found at the track that a close gap produced the smoothest running but the wider gap produced the most HP BUT the delta was very small. You would never notice the difference in power in street driving so to set them initially on the close side, knowing that they constantly "open" over time, has made the most sense for 40 years, even before the higher power iggy systems came into general use...

jeff

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It goes both ways, can’t count how many times someone who’s never owned a 5.0 or 5.4L say how they “lack torque” and “aren’t reliable” or that they “can’t tow” meanwhile they are on their first ford and have never even driven a Ford V8. Most of these being ecoboost owners. I can provide Many threads documenting the modular V8 going 500,000 miles for all those who say they “aren’t reliable”.
That's weird because I haven't seen anybody on this forum especially myself dog on the 5.4. Ive said numerous times the Eco makes more power and torque and is on paper a better motor. I'd hardly call that dogging on it. Now the 4.6 that's a different story. Those flat out suck but still reliable. I don't think it goes both ways. People dog on the 3.5 way more, yourself included. You used to bad mouth it all the time on here

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just love how many guys with 5.4 Expeditions come on here and make assumptions about the 3.5’s. It’s like every week someone who doesn’t own an ecoboost dogs on it. I sound like a broken record, but there are several documented ecoboosts in F150’s they have gone 300,000 trouble free miles. No catch can, no drama. This thread is about spark plugs, how doth it drift...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just stating what was told to me by a ford engineer, avoided eco with my wife/s explorer. Not knocking the eco just trying to hear real world info, have had eight econoline's over the years with 300 sixes and the 5.4's, all good. Not sure where your assumptions are from but I am a solid blue oval guy.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just stating what was told to me by a ford engineer, avoided eco with my wife/s explorer. Not knocking the eco just trying to hear real world info, have had eight econoline's over the years with 300 sixes and the 5.4's, all good. Not sure where your assumptions are from but I am a solid blue oval guy.

Your firs post was “so Ford is still having problems with the Ecoboost, thought they would have figured it out by now”

That’s an assumption

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend in New Jersey who has been a Ford engineer since I was 7 years old recently spent a bunch of time with me on the phone going over body schematics so we could determine where mice were entering my truck. He successfully pointed me to the likeliest place and he was right. He loves and own the ecoboost and considers it one of Ford’s best motors in the lineup. So I guess even Ford engineers can’t agree on this. If that’s the case, then we are all outta luck.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend in New Jersey who has been a Ford engineer since I was 7 years old recently spent a bunch of time with me on the phone going over body schematics so we could determine where mice were entering my truck. He successfully pointed me to the likeliest place and he was right. He loves and own the ecoboost and considers it one of Ford’s best motors in the lineup. So I guess even Ford engineers can’t agree on this. If that’s the case, then we are all outta luck.

Where were mice likely entering your truck?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Behind the tail light there are pressure equalizing rubber flaps over louvered vents. One of the flaps was pushed up and out of the way and there were paper towel shreddings there. I put heavy screen mesh there and not a single mouse since. After catching 6 over the course of a couple weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena