Ecoboost Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an FYI to anyone with an Ecoboost Expedition who plans to wait until the 100,000 mile change interval to replace their spark plugs.
I bought a one owner (not a rental) 2016 used back in November with 57,*** Miles on it, it was only a year and a half old, and judging by the condition of it this was highway miles with no passengers and no trailer towing. Lately i've noticed an occasional miss at idle, so since plugs are only $5.99 each and looked fairly simple to get to, I replaced them this weekend. The new plugs (OEM Motorcraft replacements) were pregapped to the factory specified .030, the plugs that came out were the originals and all had a gap of about .045, which is pretty darn wide considering they only have 62,*** miles on them and recommended change interval is 100,000 miles. With the new plugs the miss at idle is gone, it accelerates smoother, and pulls harder in the upper RPMs. Two thumbs up to an early spark plug change. ;)

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I believe the new gap specification for our EB engines is down to .028 believe it or not. When I replace my plugs, that’s what I’ll be gapping them to. I need to do this. My truck is missing at idle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought mine used with a little over 30K miles on it. I replaced the plugs at 38K and the gaps were all over the place. I’ve seen recommendations to replace them every 30K miles. The boost in these beats on the plugs. As easy as they are to get to I’m planning on at least checked them at 60K.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
So I believe the new gap specification for our EB engines is down to .028 believe it or not. When I replace my plugs, that’s what I’ll be gapping them to. I need to do this. My truck is missing at idle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ive seen this number also but only for tuned vehicles. Called ford tech ppl today and they recommended .030

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Livernois recommended fomoco for my explorer so I bought the pre gapped units from them. But I was wondering if it would be worth trying an E3 or the like

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't even looked at the plugs...are they easier to change than the 5.4 ?

Ltmax

Reaction score
Just changed the plugs on my 2017 Ecoboost and couldn't believe at only 40k miles the gaps had eroded 5-7 thousandths and plugs were really carboned up.

Didn't bother going to the dealer to try and get warranty coverage as it was only $42 and 20 minutes time to install the Motorcraft Iridium OE replacements.

Can't believe how much better it idles now and bet my mileage goes back up again. From now on I'm replacing these iridium plugs every 30-40k miles.

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG