Electric signs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with the Expedition "key" not working near large electronic signs? Twice now when I have parked by the electronic sign at our kiddos school, I have had issues with my expedition recognizing the key. The first time my husband had to come and bring the other fob. And even then it didn't work. The second time, the car was running but I couldn't put it in drive because it didn't detect the key. I shut it off, prayed and tried to start it. It took a couple tries but I was able to get it started.
The reason this came up as a possibility is the owners manual for my husband's Harley warns against parking near these signs. Now a Harley you can push to a different area. Not so much, a full size suv. I'm avoiding the signs as a precaution. Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar issues.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of those sign boards radiate a high level of radio frequency interference. I have noticed that my cars FM radio gets blanketed when I drive near one. I would complain to the school, who should alert the manufacturer, who knows exactly what they need to do to fix it.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, tried that the first go around. No dice.
I don’t mean to insult you, but there is a specific orientation the fob needs to be placed in the slot in order for the key to be recognized. The side with the buttons needs to be facing the rear of the vehicle. Unfortunately, this is not described in the section on starting the vehicle, but rather in the section on displaying the factory door unlock code.

Dewey3

Reaction score
Interesting ... ! It is extremely rare, but I've had my dash alert me to no key fob present while driving a couple times in the Epxy and my previous '15 Explorer. Since each time was a quick "ding" but disappeared as fast as it appeared I never gave it a second thought, but after reading this thread I realized that it was basically the same location each time in both vehicles. That location is passing the street-side electronic price signs for a gas station that I use. The funny thing is that I've never experienced this in the wife's '18 Continental that I refuel for her every one to two weeks.