Emergency Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so let’s start, this morning i went out and started up the Expedition which is what i normally daily drive. Everything was fine until i put it in reverse my engine was surging very noticeably to the point the truck was shaking..... fast forward i get out to the road and my engine is surging through the entire rpm range, this is when i realize it’s not the 5.4 acting up, i can actually hear my torque converter engaging and dissengaging down the road, pull over hit O/D off and lock out gears 5&6. Now it still jumps and surges accelerating and at idle in gear. Opinions, Replace tranny, Fluid flush?? The torque converter is engagunga and disengaging rapidly while i drive down the road making the truck drive and transfer power horridly. My shop wants to throw a tranny at it. Not so sure. Basically to simplify it the truck shakes when accelerating and in overdrive but i can tell this is the torque converter. I posted about this truck starting to act up in a different thread but today these symptoms are new and i have to act swiftly.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmissions are by far the most complex component of a car. It is composed of mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, and maybe even pneumatic systems. Guessing at what may be the issue is pointless. Maybe you could grab some trouble codes but I'd guess most of them would be symptomatic and not diagnostic (things that are happening because of something else). There could be a hundred things that can cause that behavior.

You have AAA, right?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nursed it to the shop and they are awaiting my request whether to do a flush or not, not so sure i want to spend hundreds on something that might do nothing for me. I can drive the F-350 for now i just need to make a call on what to do.... no codes were stored. I guess I’m going to say F it and have them flush all the fluid out, jeez I’ll report back later.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tranny is shot disregard thread, putting in a Ford Reman.

Last edited:

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holly crap!! No signs of failure before today? Is that normal for a tranny to just die suddenly, for no apparent reason? Sorry to hear the sucky news!

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Holly crap!! No signs of failure before today? Is that normal for a tranny to just die suddenly, for no apparent reason? Sorry to hear the sucky news!
It is on the "maintenance free" transmissions of late that don't have a dipstick. slow leaks let it get low on fluid, and then after a while, it just toasts itself... most of the time you get some warning, but the threshold of "oh, it's been getting steadily louder lately" ramps up pretty quickly to "I need a new transmission"

The general consensus on the explorer forum seems to be that any signs of trouble with the automatic trans needs to be towed to a shop for a fluid flush and fill.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’s the mileage on your Expedition J?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro