Emergency Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the mileage on your Expedition J?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
158,800 I’m a stupid person and had shorted a COP when i cleaned my engine bay. The shop replaced the coil and spark plug and truck runs good again. Tranny is fine, still wanted a fluid flush anyway long story short no tranny replacement.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
158,800 I’m a stupid person and had shorted a COP when i cleaned my engine bay. The shop replaced the coil and spark plug and truck runs good again. Tranny is fine, still wanted a fluid flush anyway long story short no tranny replacement.
That de-escalated quickly! Glad it was just the COP and not the whole transmission!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just read this thread and at first thought, it was an engine problem. Transmissions rarely just die one day when starting the car. If they do, it's usually a repairable problem, like a magnet valve. A poor running engine makes shifting very unpredictable and erratic. If you continued driving you would have gotten a code that would have shown the engine miss.

Hope you replaced the coil with a Motorcraft one. The "lifetime guaranteed" ones on ebay that sell for $3 will give you one problem after another.

Let this be a lesson to those seeking advice on the Internet: Two pages of "advice givers" claiming and concurring that you need a new transmission.

Eddie, New York

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one who was convinced it was a transmission was me, nobody else gave me bad advice IMO. When i brought it to my shop and explained the symptoms their initial thought was a bad TC or valve or clogged up by shavings because they’ve seen it before. They said if it’s that which it sounded like we could do a Ford Reman. They had a busy day and we just talked it through in the office and agreed a transmission could be producing these symptoms and it may be the culprit, which it wasn’t. It’s hard to diagnose a vehicle by just listening to a jabbering customer like myself until you diagnose. they then ran it until it threw a code and found the misfire and replaced the plug and Coil and it’s running like new since.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually for a shop to not immediately suspect a common failure point for what's probably America's bestselling large engine family.... that's kinda suspicious.

I get the feeling A LOT of people end up buying unnecessary or even nonexistent tranny and head gasket work with "complimentary" (undocumented) replacement of one spark plug or ignition coil