Engine bogs down after open air intake install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just looking for other ideas about an issue I am running into now. I installed the Spectre Air Intake setup and after a few days of driving it seems that the engine almost bogs down with full throttle. It is intermittent also and sometimes if I give it half throttle is will increase the RPM's like it should and other times just acts like it doesn't want to increase power or RPM's. I am thinking it is maybe too much air and the MAF is possibly causing the air/ fuel mixture to be incorrect. Anyone else had issues with this?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just looking for other ideas about an issue I am running into now. I installed the Spectre Air Intake setup and after a few days of driving it seems that the engine almost bogs down with full throttle. It is intermittent also and sometimes if I give it half throttle is will increase the RPM's like it should and other times just acts like it doesn't want to increase power or RPM's. I am thinking it is maybe too much air and the MAF is possibly causing the air/ fuel mixture to be incorrect. Anyone else had issues with this?

I would say either you have a leak somewhere in the intake allowing unmetered air in or the flow across the meter is not as consistant. This can throw off your air/fuel ratio.

Also if the air filter is heavily oiled it can coat the mass air sensor element and throw the readings off.

Double check and make sure all connections are air tight. Check electrical connection. Clean mass air element. Then I would double check and make sure you did not inadvertently disturbed something else.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of your set up??

OP
OP
onlyexilove

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will go back through everything tonight and see if anything is loose and also clean the MAF. I will post up progress tomorrow.

262838_4315679423606_1361993940_n.jpg

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Looks good. :)

Looks to me like it has enough plumbing in front of the meter to get consistant airflow across it so I would lean towards an air leak or oil coated sensor.

OP
OP
onlyexilove

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed-back. I will check everything again tonight and see what I come up with and post back a reply. Thanks.

OP
OP
onlyexilove

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled apart a few of the clamps and the MAF was dirty. Cleaned it all out and put it back together along with tightening down a few clamps that weren't completely tight. Took it for a ride and seems to be okay except for a small flat spot in the power-band between 25 and 35 mph which I think is due to the oversized 4" piping from the intake. I am thinking the soon to be build of swapping to the PI Intake and Head setup, headers and programmer will solve that little bit if issue that is left. Thanks again for the insight and ideas.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
That flat spot may go away after a while, once the computer fully adjusts to your new setup.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That flat spot may go away after a while, once the computer fully adjusts to your new setup.

Was just gonna say that. Wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the fuse to your PCM/ECU what ever you want to call it and get it to relearn. I did it to mine after my intake and exhaust and itr was WAY happier.

spank 141

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me and everything cleared up after cleaning the mass air meter and reseting the computer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50