Engine knocking, only at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc3477

Reaction score
2011 Expedition, 5.4L, 160k. Great condition.
After the engine warms up from driving, as I slow down and the engine comes to an idle, it will begin to knock bad. Like the engine is coming apart. The only thing that stop's this is if I shift into neutral and blip the throttle. This always happens as I enter my driveway (slight incline) and come to an idle as I enter the garage.
This sometimes happens at drive thru, parking spaces, and stop lights.

The only code I get is P1000-00. My code reader can record data and I'm not getting anything to show up on that (at least what I can understand)

Thoughts?

Brons2

Reaction score

Mikezr

Reaction score
Sounds like your timing chains slapping off the front timing cover. If you hold your foot on the brake and give it a Rev it gets a bit better. I'd say your due for a timing job like yesterday

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 05 XLT. When driving, it ran great, but at idle it would occasionally sound like the engine was going to fall apart! The timing chain guide had broken and settled which put slack in the chain. The variable timing tried to take up that slack and it would throw the timing off on that side of the engine by 1 degree. (At least that’s how I understood it). Fortunately it wasn’t enough to ruin the engine! It took a timing job to replace that guide and replaced the chains as well. I needed it quicker than I could have got it done myself so I had a shop do the job. Expensive job!

Johnathan M

Reaction score
By the way, if it’s a broken chain guide like it was on mine, the VCT solenoids won’t fix it. I tried that first and it didn’t help. I don’t believe mine rattled on startup like some have mentioned (It’s been several years since I dealt with that issue). Just occasionally at idle..