Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot I think I'll try the screwdriver trick. Yah if it would wait till 300k I'd be set :) I'll let y'all know what I find out.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
So I took your advice and bought a stethoscope. Sure enough I'm hearing quite a bit of ticking noise coming from the front part of the camshaft on drivers side. Passenger side cam has same kind of tick but much quieter. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Going to read some other posts and probably give it some time. Can't really afford to pay for a new phaser. Will keep u all posted.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gregg pay the $65 to $100 inspection fee and take to a mechanic otherwise you are still guessing.

galaxie289

Reaction score
Just wanted to add . I had the dreaded "ticking" and thought it was the Cam Phasers, but then I noticed a gas smell in the cab, After reading on the forum I had the plugs checked and found #4 almost falling out. Replaced it with a new one and gas smell gone and so was the ticking.

Thanks to the forum from saving me from a costly cam phaser job.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why you use a torque wrench. Everybody's so afraid of over tightening plugs, they don't tighten them at all. You got to torque at least 10 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
25 ft lbs is way too much. Check some of the posts on spark plug torque from other members. Apparently 10 pounds if you use anti sieze, 13-14 pounds if you don't. Anybody have the specs out of the Ford DVD repair manual?

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey guys so I had my mechanic look at it. He agreed that it was phaser noise. He recommended that I change the oil and substitute 1 quart of oil with a quart of tramny fluid to use as a detergent. Then he said to drive to 100 or 200 miles and change the oil again without tranny fluid. I've never heard of this before-would like a second opinion--is this safe? If so do you all have any recommendations of type of oil, tranny fluid and filter to use? Appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I looked into as many things as I could find online. It seems first generation, they recommend 13 ft lbs torque for spark plugs. Second gen, Ford sticker says 25 ft lbs. don't know about 3 rd gen torque. Kinda makes sense as first gens only had 4 instead of 8 threads for plugs. They say to subtract 3 pounds torque, if you use anti sieze compound. That's what I got, anyway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes this was recommended to me by an old friend, and retired Ford mechanic years back.You can use dextron/ mercon, about a half quart or so. You can also use marvel mystery oil, good stuff. Either one is fine, they work to unstick valve lifters, piston rings, helps remove varnish/ gunk buildup. Leave in for about 250-400 miles. Drive your SUV easy, drop oil and filter. Hopefully it helps.