Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gregg good oils already have detergents. Trans fluid is an old method to de-gunk and engine would could get you into other issue like if you have sludge build up in the oil pan it can dislodge the sludge and clog small orifices in the engine. Specifically the Cam Phaser solenoid has very small and fine screens that can easily get cloged then you would have some real issues with oiling. If you do want to clean the gunk (which has noting to do with the phaser issue) then drop you oil pan at least and clean properly before you thing to use an engine additive cleaner method. Th oil pan has a reusable casket and be sure to clean the magnet and replace.

Other than that good news that it is the Cam Phaser and not something for sever.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Yeah I'm kinda thinking u are right jb14. I dont want gunk to get caught up in my engine--i think I'll just pick a good oil and still with 3000k oil changes. Do you have any recommendation for oil and filter? I've also seen a lot of ads for the Lucas oil oil stabilizer. Would u recommend this or any other additives?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on your engine? Do you know the oil change intervals? If you've read any of my past posts, you'll see I'm not a big fan of any temporary fixes. Most of the additives are snake oil in a can/ bottle. Bottom line is you or someone is going to eventually have to change out phasers, and other worn cam chain items. The only reason I recommended trans fluid, or Marvel mystery oil is because of recommendation of your mechanic. I've had good luck with marvel mystery oil myself in past problems, but don't want to give you the idea it's going to make your problems totally go away. It is at best a temporary stop gap, till you replace worn parts. It's like taking pain medication to hide a problem with your body that needs therapy, or surgery. It's temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
It's an 06 with 120k. Only had the truck for a few months so idk what the oil change history is. So I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I'm gonna change my oil with 4/1 parts oil and tranny. Drive for 100 miles like the mechanic said, then change oil again along with and the vct solenoids. Will probably do this in a few weeks and will let u know how it works. Any other advice please feel free to let me know.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not much else besides keeping your oil changed every 3,000 miles. As far as oil goes, everyone has their favorite. I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30weight in my 2000 exp. I believe 5w20 is what their recommending for yours. You might look it up to be sure. With synthetic you can extend your oil change interval because if synthetic properties not breaking down. Whatever oil you use, clean is good. As far as filters use Ford or any quality filter, stay away from the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey Moose I was wondering how you used marvel mystery oil. Been doing some research and it sounds like good stuff. Just curious on your method. Can I add this to my oil after an oil change or is it supposed to be done right before an oil change? And do you add it to your fuel? How much do you use?

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Gregg, our trucks take 5/20 wt synthetic blend oil which I have been using for most of the engine life. Over the past year I switched to a full Amsoil synthetic 5/20. A couple weeks back I had to get my oil changed and was unable to get to my normal mechanic so I did late night change my self using Valvoline 5/20 synblend I was surprised that the truck felt freer and I got better gas mileage. Full syns are good and Mobil 1 and Amsoil are some of the best but after my most recent revelation I recommend the 5/20 synblend for our trucks. That being said and we are diverting this post from the original question. But just as a recommendation being that your unsure of service intervals you may way want to have the trans serviced with new filter also check rearend and transfer case (if 4X4) fluids, plus replace the gas filter which is located at the under side of the truck drivers side passenger (look at youtube to perform) Oil Filter wise Mobil1 seems to be high quality. You can go 5k between oil changes with no issues. Back o the original post as mentioned I highly recommend changing out the Cam Phaser Solenoids.

You can search posts on this forum for maintenance recommendations

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as marvel mystery oil recommends put in a full bottle, the smaller bottle, for about 20 miles or so. Then bring into garage and drain oil and refill, along with new filter. I agree with jb, change out your cam phaser solenoid . The Marvel mystery oil removes varnish and crud, so don't leave it in too long, no more than 50 miles. You can also add it to the fuel. It's a great fuel system cleaner, one of the few products on the shelf that actually works. I noticed the same smoother running that jb mentioned with my Mobil 1. Any quality oil is fine. Keep us posted on your results.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I came across this on an F Series truck forum.

• Was a little hesitant to post this as I don't recommend doing this, but at a suggestion by my mech. buddy who has heard the tick or tap on my truck for the last 80,000 miles or so (truck has 105,000 miles), told me to put 15w40 in it on the next oil change. Wasn't really comfortable doing this, I thought he had lost his mind. But he is a reeeeal good mechanic and has NEVER steered me wrong, so I did what he said and at the same time changed my plugs (second plug change on the truck), cleaned and recharged the Volant filter and unfortunately fixed a leaking rear axle seal. Anyway truck runs great (knock on wood) and that annoying tick is gone, and I mean completely. Will post update if anything bad happens as a result of this strategy for eliminating the tap or tick on these 5.4's
••••••

I have been using 15w40 in my 5.4l and it has run great. No more tapping. I had the cam phasers done by ford and it still made noise. After I put 15w40 in all noise went away.

•••••••

Just my 2 cents here I work for a township and we have 6 f-250's with 5.4 motors in them. All of them have over 100,000 miles and have been using 15w40 in them since they were almost new. All year around and never had a problem never been apart. Not one of them have a piston slap at start up. They range from 2000 to 2007 and we just got a brand new one and i asked what oil they will put in it and sure enough 15w40 as soon as the warranty is up. Maybe its not such a bad idea. Again just my 2 cents

•••••••

Last edited: