Engine Replacement On 2015 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MO311FAN

Reaction score
FWIW, we love this vehicle. Just bad luck? Not sure, felt like we did our due diligence. Could happen to anyone, just throwing our experience out there for others before they buy. Do a compression check before buying! May have kept us from buying this particular one.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After replacing a plug and it ran better is no indication of anything. Very few people do compression checks before buying and it's not always going to tell you a whole story anyway. I think something got in there or it ran low on oil and I am wondering also if it really needed to be replaced. Dealers are replace happy anyway. Sounds like a bunch of bad luck but I would have driven it until the motor fell out before just replacing it. No knocks, oil burning, etc,. I would have just carried on.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After replacing a plug and it ran better is no indication of anything. Very few people do compression checks before buying and it's not always going to tell you a whole story anyway. I think something got in there or it ran low on oil and I am wondering also if it really needed to be replaced. Dealers are replace happy anyway. Sounds like a bunch of bad luck but I would have driven it until the motor fell out before just replacing it. No knocks, oil burning, etc,. I would have just carried on.
I will certainly second that the shops especially dealers throw in the towel way too early and what to sell you a replacement engine. Independent shops do the same thing as they don't want to risk they're being another problem after they do work to it or I come back. They feel confident that a remanufactured engine is going to be good to go and if there is a problem it doesn't reflect on them at all but the company I sold the engine like Jasper Etc.
We have had several post recently where people were told they needed an engine when they simply had a cam follower off or messed up and 1 cylinder dead. This can happen and not even damage a camshaft and be a simple fix. The hardest part is getting the valve cover off!

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having watched multiple YouTube videos at this point, I am thinking of add in a catch-can. Not sure what happened here, just trying to save others. Have seen multiple posts about misfires...
Catch can is a must. Check out JLT passenger side can. $150. Also, full synthetic oil changes every 5-7000 miles. Plugs change every 30k and gap em to .030. Ecoboosts love to ear plugs. Run 93 if you can

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Catch can is a must. Check out JLT passenger side can. $150. Also, full synthetic oil changes every 5-7000 miles. Plugs change every 30k and gap em to .030. Ecoboosts love to ear plugs. Run 93 if you can
I change my plugs every 30k also. That 100k mile range (or whatever it is) is ridiculous, they start wearing from day one just like tires when you drive the car our out the tire shop. It's hard on the cop's when you leave them in too long also.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change my plugs every 30k also. That 100k mile range (or whatever it is) is ridiculous, they start wearing from day one just like tires when you drive the car our out the tire shop. It's hard on the cop's when you leave them in too long also.
It is very hard on the coils and that's what makes a lot of them fail before they would but 30,000 is probably being very proactive about it. With modern ignition systems from the early 90s on you are fairly safe to go at least 50 or 60 thousand miles.
This does depend on the type of plug but is anybody actually using plain old copper plugs anymore?? I had on occasion but you want to change them by every 30000 because the Gap Lee Road quickly. On a standard Motorcraft or Autolite single Platinum you can go 50 or 60 thousand and probably only a road the gap 5-8 thousands.
A double Platinum is going to wear even less. Irradiance would last even longer but I don't pay the money for those. There's also a trade-off on actual spark performance. Every time you get the harder materials that last longer you get less actual spark or you get a pinpoint spark that isn't exactly the best thing to promote the best combustion but in reality it's all kind of a moot point.
Nowhere ever did anybody decide that it was a really good idea to leave plugs in a hundred thousand miles... This was simply done so the manufacturers could claim you didn't have to do a tune-up for a hundred thousand miles. Buy our new high-tech engine in our new car and you will save money on maintenance and repairs.
Just like the new Briggs & Stratton push mower engines that say never needs oil changes just check and top off. If that's not a bad idea. Nothing is. All marketing.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My uncle buys used, but always gets an extended warranty. I would of went back to the Chevy dealer and traded it in.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am all for buying used but buying a 4 year old truck with 120k miles not a chance in the world would I roll that dice.

But you’re well passed that. Find a local mechanic that installs Jasper rebuilt motors.

You should be quite a bit cheaper than 8k. Jaspers come with a 3 year/100k mile warranty too