Engine whistle problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redbone

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition with a 3.5 ecoboost engine/ Today when driving along if I burped the throttle it would make a short whistle sound. Not a longer whine sound like a turbo normally makes, but a quick half second whistle sound. Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
redbone

redbone

Reaction score
Really need someone to help dx this problem. I need to know if it is something I can repair or take to a dealer.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition with a 3.5 ecoboost engine/ Today when driving along if I burped the throttle it would make a short whistle sound. Not a longer whine sound like a turbo normally makes, but a quick half second whistle sound. Thanks for any help.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

What do you mean that you “burped the throttle”?

Often, a whistle sound indicates a vacuum leak. Have you or someone done any recent work inside the engine compartment? Has anything been modified?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have a leak somewhere...

Open the hood, stand in front and have somebody tap the throttle, and see if you can narrow it down.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a leak. Check your air filter and leading to the throttle body if you’ve messed with anything. Miles? Maybe a pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
redbone

redbone

Reaction score
No work has been done recently. It won't do it unless you are driving. When I say burped I mean I was driving and let off the gas. Again it's not a turbo whine. It is a short, maybe half second whistle. Thanks for the help. I've been reading and some websites suggest either a bov or bpv.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe a turbo waste gate sticking. Do you occasionally get into the throttle enough to make them function? You should as they can freeze if never actuated.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK,ok, question: do the turbos have waste gates (to prevent overboost and overspeeding) or does the overpressure coming out of the turbo go thru a blowoff valve. Was my understanding that there are waste gates on the turbos, computer controlled. Is there also a blowoff valve which would activate on sudden throttle closure? That would seem to be the cause of the whistle, if so. Guess I need to check mine out.