Exhaust Manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moofish75

Reaction score
Hey there. Long time no write. At any rate, I just had my 03 expy in the shop to have the air bag sensor and passenger door actuator replaced ($540) and they are telling me that my manifold on passengers side needs replaced b/c it's leaking. I can hear some noise coming out of it if I stand on that side of the truck, but not horrible sounding. 2 questions, Should I be concerned and get this replaced immediately (~$700 at dealership b/c 5 hours labor) or should I not concern myself with it and attempt it myself? I'm pretty handy with replacing parts and what not. $700 seems like a lot of cash to me to replace it. Thoughts?

Randy

Reaction score
I had a similar sounding noise when I took my 2000 Expy into the shop. The 1st mechanic listened with the stethoscope and said the noise was definitely coming from the passenger side head - talking big $$$ for repairs when, thankfully, another mechanic walked up and said - check the PCV valve, sounds like it's stuck.
YES!!! That what was making the noise. I'd much rather pay six bucks for a fix than get stuck with $600.00 any day.

97expy

Reaction score
I would personally check the manifold for a crack or if bolts are missing. These vehicles have high probability to break off a couple bolts in the head causing the exhaust leak.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can and want to buy headers with it instead and install yourself. MAY cost a bit more in parts depending. If you can, and want to.

blown87notch

Reaction score
My local shop qouted me 2 hours to do the job, mine had two broken studs on the back. The parts cost me around $5 total from the stealership and it took my around 4 hours to do. I wouldn't pay that much for it. If you look ill bet the two rear studs are broken off.