Advice on things after exhaust manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linksvu

Reaction score
Well I had a pretty poor shop experience and I'm now questioning the quality of work. Hopefully someone can clarify if a few things we're seeing are or are not common for the work done. In short, I had a shop replace both exhaust manifolds along with all of the suggested items: coolant lines, oil lines, coolant & oil, intake manifold gasket. Since it's been back, there are been 3 things we've noticed related to the service (as well as other concerning things though not related to the service itself). Would these things be expected?

1) The engine is taking noticeably longer to reach operating temp and I've even seen it drop in temp after it was at operating temp. For the 3 years and 70k we've had this I have never notice the temp fluctuate like it has been now. Should this be expected?
2) It now has fluids leaking. It has been dry as a bone since we got it but now there has been both spots of oil & coolant underneath it. Shouldn't it now, even more so, be dry with new lines?
3) The hub cab on the driver's front wheel fell off during our first highway drive. Do they commonly remove the front wheels for this work? Again, we've had the wheels for years with the came covers, including having them exchanges for tire rotations.

The other things don't help my perception here: they put on over 100 miles on the truck, they reached 103mph with it (we have a tracker because it used to be borrowed a lot), and it reeked of smoke when we picked it up. It had never been smoked in before so we had to get it cleaned.

This is a bummer for us as we really like finding good, trustworthy shop for the 3 Ecoboost vehicles we have.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
103 MPH? 100 Miles? Yee haah! We'z guts us a turbo!

... Hope they weren't robbing a liquor store with it.

The temperature fluctuation could be air in the system, low coolant or a defective, sticking thermostat. Keep an eye on it. There is no excuse for the fluid leaks or the 102MPH. You should see what's causing them (unless it's just left over drips) and don't go back to these crackheads.

OP
OP
Linksvu

Linksvu

Reaction score
Exactly, and thank you!

The temperature fluctuations seem to have stopped, all appears to be normal there. I believe you were correct on air in the system.

And the fluid leaks looked to be tied to their work, which I had them correct after much debate. Coolant was a line they replaced which didn’t seat properly and the oil fluid was actually diff fluid as it appears the front diff was disturbed during the work so they had to re-seal and refill that.

They indeed had to remove the front wheels for this work so they clearly didn’t attach the center caps on properly.

Overall this was quite disappointing.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's hard to find a trustworthy mechanic. I need a manifold replacement and still haven't decided who to use for the work, as I'm convinced the job could be done better with the cab off to improve access to the oil and coolant lines. But I dislike the local Ford dealership and don't trust independent shops to remove the cab since they likely don't do that often.