Expedition Ecoboost Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They don’t recommend using a straight performance tune while towing. Gearing and shift strategies too aggressive. You would need to purchase a performance tow tune and they can make it shift however you want. Plenty of 5 star f150s out there towing the shit outta stuff. And 5 star, unlike livernois, actually calibrates there tunes with trucks and fully loaded trailers to make the beat ECU map for each application. That’s why 5 star is the preferred vendor over Livernois (which by the way is wayyyyu too expensive, and 5 star tunes make more power)

The key though is to not just take the first tune they send you and say “oh it’s good”. I’ve had 13 revisions done to mine and I guarantee you I make over 400rwhp and rwtq with how great they have it dialed in. 23psi of boost, -0.96 OAR and 0.44 degrees ok knock at WOT. 2016 el platinum 3” lift on 35s and 3.73s runs a 0-60 in 5.7 secs

Revisions are key!

LMS is GREAT on my edge, but Like you said, the delivery platform leaves A LOT to be desired. None of the 3 logged and custom tuners I have tried after LMS, still can’t compete. So they have their place also.

With that said, they I am sure would do fine on the Expy, they are not a recommended one from me simply because they don’t use a platform that can be used in other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And 5 Star has blown some Motors, and X has Blown some Trans....and so forth. Pay to play!

Our Drive shafts are WAY different than anything in the F-150.

Haven’t heard of anything 5 star blew up, I can find evidence from BCB though. What evidence do you have from 5 star?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven’t heard of anything 5 star blew up, I can find evidence from BCB though. What evidence do you have from 5 star?

You have to actually talk to people offline, not just read forums. People seem to be afraid of speaking bad about 5-Star online because they sponsor a lot of forums. Also, I have seen posts on other forums speaking bad about them removed....

I do not lock in to one company. I have always tried different things. Same reason I work on mostly windows systems during the day, and use a Mac doing my consulting work. Each has its place.

I wanted to try 5-Star but they told me some BS about only being able to write tunes for SCT or NGauge, and not MPVI2. The NGauge and MPVI2 use the exact same format from HPTuner. They just wanted to sell me the hardware. When I called them on it, they said it was because of emissions. When I contacted HPTuner themselves they said there is nothing that can be done with a tune via NGauge that can’t be done with the MPVI2, and said there was no explanation for that response. So I am a little over them.

I have now used 3 separate companies on my Expy, and 3 on the Edge. About to try a 4th on both.

They all do something good, and I learn at every step!

WakeZone

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that is some awesome information. Oops, I meant engine brake when I wrote e-brake. BTW I emailed MPT about a tune for the 17 Expy XLT and it is not on their front burner as of now. I have the FP OBD2 USB connector from the Mustang power pack 2; will look into some of the PC based tuners to maybe save a few pennies if possible. Don't care about city MPG's but want to maintain hwy MPG, which most tunes shouldn't interfere with I would think; at low RPM highway speed loads (no-tow) the turbos are gonna put out what they put out if anything. Really looking for a conservative tune between stock and blown engine, but as LokiWolf said, pay to play.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that is some awesome information. Oops, I meant engine brake when I wrote e-brake. BTW I emailed MPT about a tune for the 17 Expy XLT and it is not on their front burner as of now. I have the FP OBD2 USB connector from the Mustang power pack 2; will look into some of the PC based tuners to maybe save a few pennies if possible. Don't care about city MPG's but want to maintain hwy MPG, which most tunes shouldn't interfere with I would think; at low RPM highway speed loads (no-tow) the turbos are gonna put out what they put out if anything. Really looking for a conservative tune between stock and blown engine, but as LokiWolf said, pay to play.

All of the tuners above can give you a mild tune. You won’t regret. There was a reason MPT wasn’t on the list....cause I had already contacted them. You want somebody that has experience with this particular platform.

My Highway MPG’s have increased when stock just by using 93, and all of the tunes increased it between .5 and 2 MPG on the highway. Less rpm to give you the same acceleration. Works great!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Darn Loki, you make me want to go drop 600 on a tuner, just because<LOL>!!

I had decided on LMS if I choose to go and mod my truck but I'm wondering based on your comments about their interface being difficult, if for a laymen their setup would be fine? Maybe for a user like you who really knows how to get into the weeds, might not be as user friendly as you'd wish but might be fine for us regular folks?

jeff

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Darn Loki, you make me want to go drop 600 on a tuner, just because<LOL>!!

I had decided on LMS if I choose to go and mod my truck but I'm wondering based on your comments about their interface being difficult, if for a laymen their setup would be fine? Maybe for a user like you who really knows how to get into the weeds, might not be as user friendly as you'd wish but might be fine for us regular folks?

jeff

LMS’s interface is actually VERY user friendly. I don’t like it for quite the opposite reason. Their previous hardware had ZERO logging capability, their new hardware has some. To get the most out of the tune on an EcoBoost, I believe logging and adjustment is a must.

I have not actually tried the tuning for the Expy from LMS. Because I did not want to drop another $600 in addition to the $600 I dropped for my Edge. I went with other Tuners that use HPTuner because you buy the ability to tune your vehicle, and just buy tunes from another company and use the same device. It is less user friendly, but allows logging, adjustment, and in the long run has cost me less.

Example of cost:

LMS - $600 - All the tunes I want, but very little adjustment to how my vehicle actually responds to the tune. If I wanted to go with another tuner like BCB, I would then have to buy hardware and a tune from them, $500 at the cheapest.

HPTuner(ZFG, BCB, 5Star{sorda}, and others) - $400 for MPVI2 and 2 Tuning credits(15-19 Expy’s need 2), normally $200 for a tune from each company. Sometimes cheaper. Since I am about to get a tune from my 3rd company it is saving me money.

After now on the 4th company on my Edge, I still use LMS tunes as my daily, and still have the fastest 0-60 with their 93 Early Shift Performance Tune. So after hours logging with 2 vendors, the tune I bought 3 years ago is still faster and smoother in general. That says A LOT in my opinion about the quality of their work. You cannot go wrong using their stuff. They program a lot of buffer in to their tunes.

Hope that provides some clarity. As you can tell I have spent a fair amount of time screwing with this stuff.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you make it easy....MUCH appreciated. For someone who has gone into the programs and learned what most tuners do to the sensors, limits etc, what their aim is and what the result is...YOU can apply that knowledge base to more of a custom tune.

Since most of us either don't know how or care to invest the time to learn, you've provided a wealth of info.

I can compare this to a Two stroke "porting" requests. Some folks are just fine with telling me to do my magic but out of 100% max, they want 80% and good low end torque.

Other guys tell me exact porting specs....and yes, they will measure when they receive their engine back<LOL>

I'm like the first guy when it comes to buying a tune, you Loki are much more the second because unlike myself, you've got more than a clue about this stuff!

jeff