Expedition EL or Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing you have to factor in is peak torque and HP ranges. Expedition hits both marks at lower RPM's meaning it is available quicker. To me that is worth some power sacrifice. Man with 4.10 gears the Suburban must either have one hell of an overdrive or just scream on the highway...

Not to mention buying the Expedition saves you a whopping $25!!!

The Expedition hits it's peak HP/torque only 500/550 RPMs lower than the Suburban so it's possibly that even at that RPM it has more HP/torque. Unless you can post HP/torque curves, your statement doesn't work. The extra 2 gears the expedition has helps keep it in it's powerband longer, but it still isn't enough to beat the Suburban. Even if it had a CVT it probably wouldn't be faster. The extra gears also help with MPG by keeping the RPMs lower, but again Chevy has them beat on that as well.

Actually here's a curve I looked up @ 2014 Silverado/Sierra Release 5.3L MPG, Power, Payload and Towing Numbers - PickupTrucks.com News

6a00d83451b3c669e2017c38424a95970b-800wi.jpg

It is from the 2014s, but HP/torque max ratings were similar.

here at 5 3L Bow Tie Engine Builds Stock Dyno Results Photo 5 it shows a stock LM7 5.3L motor which is used in 2000-06 vehicles and has similar numbers. As you can see it still has 350HP@5000rpms so that's still better than the Expedition.

Like other people on the forum have stated, you definitely feel the power more in the Suburban/tahoe because there is more power and reduced weight.

The 4.10 gears vs the 3.73 only means your RPMs are only 10% higher. At 2000 RPMs which is usually what it's around at 70 MPH would only equate to 2200 RPMs for the Suburban/tahoe because there final gears are almost the same. Even with the slightly higher RPMs, the Suburban does better on MPG which is partially do to the smaller frontal area and reduced weight.

I call BS on those MPG stats too
If you want to compare tham side by side with their actual rating they are here: Compare Side-by-Side

I could only look up the MPG rating for the normal expedition with a 2wd setup. So doing a little math here we have from 07 to 07 with AFM +16.7%city/+11.1%Hwy better MPG on the Suburban. According to fueleconomy.gov you save around $200 a year if you drive a Surburban vs an Expedition (and that's not even the EL!).

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedition hits it's peak HP/torque only 500/550 RPMs lower than the Suburban so it's possibly that even at that RPM it has more HP/torque. Unless you can post HP/torque curves, your statement doesn't work. The extra 2 gears the expedition has helps keep it in it's powerband longer, but it still isn't enough to beat the Suburban. Even if it had a CVT it probably wouldn't be faster. The extra gears also help with MPG by keeping the RPMs lower, but again Chevy has them beat on that as well.

Actually here's a curve I looked up @ 2014 Silverado/Sierra Release 5.3L MPG, Power, Payload and Towing Numbers - PickupTrucks.com News

6a00d83451b3c669e2017c38424a95970b-800wi.jpg

It is from the 2014s, but HP/torque max ratings were similar.

here at 5 3L Bow Tie Engine Builds Stock Dyno Results Photo 5 it shows a stock LM7 5.3L motor which is used in 2000-06 vehicles and has similar numbers. As you can see it still has 350HP@5000rpms so that's still better than the Expedition.

Like other people on the forum have stated, you definitely feel the power more in the Suburban/tahoe because there is more power and reduced weight.

The 4.10 gears vs the 3.73 only means your RPMs are only 10% higher. At 2000 RPMs which is usually what it's around at 70 MPH would only equate to 2200 RPMs for the Suburban/tahoe because there final gears are almost the same. Even with the slightly higher RPMs, the Suburban does better on MPG which is partially do to the smaller frontal area and reduced weight.

I call BS on those MPG stats too
If you want to compare tham side by side with their actual rating they are here: Compare Side-by-Side

I could only look up the MPG rating for the normal expedition with a 2wd setup. So doing a little math here we have from 07 to 07 with AFM +16.7%city/+11.1%Hwy better MPG on the Suburban. According to fueleconomy.gov you save around $200 a year if you drive a Surburban vs an Expedition (and that's not even the EL!).

Fair enough, if you are looking for a win, you can have it. I guess if you are so passionate for the Tahoe's/Suburban's it seems odd that you purchased an Expedition, regardless of the year or motor.

I would say the fuel economy gains come from Active Fuel Management more than anything (assuming they put it in all of their vehicles). Both vehicles are going to be as aerodynamic as they can be.

Last edited:

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just want people to have the right info.

The afm only affected the hwy mpg and only gave it 1 mpg more.

I am not brand loyal. I love the look of all the expeditions even though the second gen was kind of a letdown. It's grown on me though. I would actually love to design some.That's why I've owned 2 thus far and plan to buy a 3rd gen in a few years. As I've mentioned before, I like gmc/chevy because it's apparent they took more time to make a more maintenance friendly vehicle. That combined with the extra hp and better fuel efficiency is why I favor gmc/chevy more. Dodge/Jeep did a pretty good job on the Durango and Grand Cherokee as far as being maintenance friendly too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik