Expy Build - Heading to Mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just bough 99 XLT w/100k, need to get it ready for epic road trip! First will ride to to TX and then into Mexico its final destination.

I want to get your ideas on prep.

Once in MX the terrain wear I will be living is very mountainous (think pike's peak with constant switch backs).

Roads are rough and many are just dirt roads.

I dont want to build anything extravagant just functional and on a limited budget.

Take off is in September!
IMG_4924.jpeg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That mileage is crazy low

Unless there's a bunch of rust or shit is dry rotted from age or neglect from being parked too long, shouldnt need much work

You might want some LT AT tires though

OP
OP
M

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Thanks, already started on tires and wheels. I got a crazy deal. 17x8 w/ 285/70'sIMG_2894.JPG IMG_2896.JPG

OP
OP
M

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Thx, checked it out. Some rust there but nothing affecting structure.

I will be taking a wire wheel to it and seeing how deep it goes. The using rust converter where possible and undercoating it.
IMG_2917.JPG

OP
OP
M

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Yesterday finished up on roof rails, coating was peeling. I did a quick sanding and 3 coats of epoxy paint.IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2903.JPG

OP
OP
M

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Got under the truck and found some rust, hit it with hammer to see integrity and so far so good. Looks ugly but with my 7in wire wheel, rust converter and undercoat it should be ok.IMG_2917.JPG

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if u end up replacing, there are a few way better than stock ford parts options out there,

prob cost less too,

nice score on the set of wheels btw

Last edited:

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just bough 99 XLT w/100k, need to get it ready for epic road trip! First will ride to to TX and then into Mexico its final destination.

I want to get your ideas on prep.

Once in MX the terrain wear I will be living is very mountainous (think pike's peak with constant switch backs).

Roads are rough and many are just dirt roads.

I dont want to build anything extravagant just functional and on a limited budget.

Take off is in September!
View attachment 25742
You shouldn’t have issues finding parts for it in Mexico. What part of Mexico will you be at?

OP
OP
M

MX EXPY

Reaction score
Heading to Oaxaca, that is one of the reasons I decided to do 1st gen expy. I have seen quite a few of these down there and the same gen F150 everywhere