Expy during quarantine ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SomeENG

Reaction score
After riding a trail the other day I stopped by a gas station to wipe down the windows and lights with a squeegee.
I hardly bumped the turn signal lens and it just fell off.

How is it supposed to stay on? There are no clips or screws. I don't want it to fall off on the trail.

1st gen

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We look at each other and say, "When was the last time we drove this one, or that one?" And we try to drive something that hasn't been driven for a week or so.

I enjoy driving my car more than anything else. Hard not to like something that accelerates, corners and brakes like it does and still get almost 24 mpg around town.

The Expedition is next, on my list. I enjoy driving it around more than the truck or my wife's Outlander.

The car is next on the list to be driven (as long as we aren't picking up lumber products at Lowes). It hasn't been driven in at least two weeks now.

Oh, 2011 Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 V6, 6 speed manual, with the Track package/options in Interlagos Yellow. Still puts a smile on my face after 9 years and 60,000 plus miles.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
If I'm not gonna drive my Expy ... why should I pay insurance on it?

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
June I get to let the beast out of storage.

Got a airport meet going on. 1/4 1/2 and a 1 mile runs

I know my times and speeds already but maybe I'll break a new time.

1/4 best was a 9.92 133 mph
1/2 was a 17.69 158 mph
1 mile I stopped out at 213mph

89 R32 skyline gt-R
896 hp 833 tq
200 shot n20

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not gonna drive my Expy ... why should I pay insurance on it?

So when some kid steals the tires and rims off it to sell for quick cash and you find it on cinder blocks in the morning you have coverage.

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
My wife and I have two toddlers, so we drive around a lot. to get out of the house. With $1 gas I am still using only 25% of my monthly gas budget. Her Camry on the other hand is struggling to finish off the tank I filled on March 3rd.

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In VA, if you have a license on it, you have to have insurance on it.

I've actually bought a car/vehicle, called my insurance agent to let them know I bought it (and give them the VIN) to get it on my insurance and still had the state contact me to ask me if I have insurance on it when I bought it - because their records showed I bought it on Tuesday 4/19 and didn't get insurance till Wed. 4/20 and did I know there was a fine for not having insurance on a licensed vehicle?

Then I called the insurance company and asked them to back date the insurance to the previous day and they told me they'd take care of it (happens often) and notify the state that I did indeed have an insurance policy when I bought the vehicle.

After that one time I always remind the insurance company to make sure they show me having insurance on it the day I get one.

When we went down to NC to get the Expedition I called them the day before to let them know we were driving down to look at one and then called them again that day to let them know we were bringing it home. They just told me it was insured and to let them know the VIN number and they'd get it on the policy.

I know VA. What can I say. Sometimes I wish I had gone out to Colorado or Wyoming when I graduated college. But VA was close to family (4 hr. drive).

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
In NYS you also have to maintain liability insurance as long as registered, no lapses as MrCoupe said. The NYS DMV website describes a process where you have to remove the registration and inspection sticker's then remove plates and surrender at DMV --- then you can cancel insurance. I don't think insurance companies will cancel insurance without the DMV paperwork.

Here in NYS ... the DMV offices are closed, so I can't surrender my plates therefore I can't cancel my liability insurance. Catch 22. I'm forced to pay for insurance I will not use.

https://dmv.ny.gov/insurance/insurance-lapses

Not the end of the world, worse things are happening. Just another SNAFU.
Something I thought about and had to figure out, hate to waste money.

My buddy works with Andrew Cuomo on a NYS task Force.
I'm throwing this situation over to him as an "idea".
Cuomo could issue short term direction to relax some of these rules.
That's where we are these days, extraordinary times require new modes of operation.

Kind of doubt they will relax this requirement.
Too much risk of people driving around without insurance.
Life is always a balance of one thing against another.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
OK. I called State Farm to describe my situation and ask what can I do to reduce insurance costs during this extraordinary period. State farm has an agreement with NYS and a Program for this. It's called the "Withdraw from Use Program". It sidesteps cancelling registration and surrendering plates ... you just park the vehicle and cost is reduced 70% still maintaining comprehensive (fire theft and "a tree falls on it") coverage. Can start and stop this Program multiple times, just need 30 days in between stop/start. Starts with phone call, immediate. Stops with a phone call, immediate. Cool. Does it get better than this?

Normally I like to drive my Expy every 2 weeks but not sure how necessary that is, and I think I could start the engine and let it idle for 30 minutes every few weeks as middle ground? Its parked outside.

I happen to have 2 fully operational vehicles so I can mothball one, the 2014EL is only used for cross country travel which I seriously doubt I will be able to do ... until ... July? Why pay insurance on it for just sitting in my driveway.

All money saved with be used to purchase Growlers at https://lock32brew.com/

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm lucky. To register a vehicle or renew its online. Take a picture of the slip email it. New plate is then mailed or delivered by an employee to the registered address.