Fix or leave it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would sure fix it before it gets worse. My 2000 started out like that and now she rests in a junkyard. My 1997's body is still rust free but I expect that to change as the Iowa winters can be bad and the road crews salt and brine the roads like crazy. Hell, they already have done that this year. :disgust:
This time as soon as a see a spot of rust, I'm fixing it.

Plati

Reaction score
On my 2003 Expy ... rust started appearing on the outside, but it had started on the inside.
So dealing with it on the outside is like ******* into the wind. Hate it when that happens. YMMV

IMG_1831.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
On my 2003 Expy ... rust started appearing on the outside, but it had started on the inside.
So dealing with it on the outside was like ******* into the wind. Hate it when that happens. YMMV

View attachment 38794

Wow. That’s rust. Mine is just now popping blisters. If I fix it it’ll last me a couple years before it starts to bubble up again. Damn shame cause truck looks and runs excellent.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Just got two estimates.

Private body shop approximately $2000 to cut off the rocker panels, weld new ones, paint and clear coat, including removal of running boards and replacement of the rusted metal frame backing.

Ford dealer over $4000.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that's a lot! If your engine is ok, well check cylinder compression on all 8, if ok or still within specs and you consider your truck a keeper, well then go ahead just ask for a discount.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Yes, that's a lot! If your engine is ok, well check cylinder compression on all 8, if ok or still within specs and you consider your truck a keeper, well then go ahead just ask for a discount.

Which one is a lot? $2000 or $4000?

This is decision is driving me nuts. It’s either fix it or buy used.

If I need to buy used I need to stay around and under $20k which puts me in the 2009-2014 model range f150 w 5.4’s which scares me.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$4,000 is a LOT. $2,000 seems reasonable but not be worth doing as these trucks are getting up there in years. How many miles does she have? If she has low miles and you want to keep her for awhile, go for it.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
$4,000 is a LOT. $2,000 seems reasonable but not be worth doing as these trucks are getting up there in years. How many miles does she have? If she has low miles and you want to keep her for awhile, go for it.

212,*** but maintained w open check book. It needs nothing but I’ve always made repairs needed most recently driver door lock actuator, rear brake rotors and pads, about a month ago new exhaust manifolds, year ago cat back exhaust w SS muffler, 6 mos ago new Monroe coil over kit, the original Monroe kit lasted 80k miles before shocks blew.

Complete tuneup w all new cops at dealer. New fuel pump.

Drop all fluids every 50k miles rear diff, transfer case, tranny, coolant, brake fluid all done at dealer.

I’ve stayed ahead of maintenance the entire time.

My issue is if I just sell it what do I replace it with in the $20k budget w good reliability?