Ford and Carfax scam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Nepper

Reaction score
I traded my 2018 Expedition XLT for a 2023 Platinum Expedition. The dealership then posted my 2018 for sale withe a carfax report that shows my maintenance history but none of my repair history all done at 3 different Ford dealerships.
1. Cam Phaser
2. 2 new sync screens
3.speed sensor
4. 3 shocks
5.2 usb port failures
Makes you wonder if Ford does not report to Carfax because all the issues w/b exposed

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I traded my 2018 Expedition XLT for a 2023 Platinum Expedition. The dealership then posted my 2018 for sale withe a carfax report that shows my maintenance history but none of my repair history all done at 3 different Ford dealerships.
1. Cam Phaser
2. 2 new sync screens
3.speed sensor
4. 3 shocks
5.2 usb port failures
Makes you wonder if Ford does not report to Carfax because all the issues w/b exposed
Similiar with mine..... they hid all the major repairs and instead labeled them with generic titles that didnt really describe what they really did. Carfax agrees to do this so they can get the dealers business. If carfax showed the actual repairs and how serious they were, dealers would not buy the reports. Most lines items were just listed as multiple services.....

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The report is only as good as what's reported. I bought a car that I found out was formerly owned by one of the forum members for that car. It had suffered all the normal expensive failures for that vehicle and he got tired of paying to fix it and dumped it. None of those repairs were on the Carfax because they weren't reported. Good news was that he had paid to fix all the normal failures and it was solid for me the entire time I owned it.

Bottom line, if it's on the Carfax, then it likely happened, but if it's not, you really will never know unless you run into the former owner.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Nepper

Reaction score
Who's holding back info ? Is it Ford not reporting or Carfax? Are they working together to suppress it? I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue as both parties credibility is seriously compromised. Especially these days when the public is eager to cancel or expose behaviors/ business practices like this.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who's holding back info ? Is it Ford not reporting or Carfax? Are they working together to suppress it? I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue as both parties credibility is seriously compromised. Especially these days when the public is eager to cancel or expose behaviors/ business practices like this.

It's the Ford dealerships. Warranty repairs do not touch insurance, and dealerships do not have the obligation to report. Therefore, Carfax doesn't know those warranty repairs. It's not only Ford. It's the practice of almost all dealerships across the industry, more or less.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If people rely on carfax alone they are incompetent.
You can ask a ford dealer (any one) for your OASIS report by vin. That is all work performed and billed for the vehicle while done by a ford shop. It's required they log it or no warranty payment would be processed.
Also if you have independent shops doing work, great, ask for the receipts, if not treat the work as not performed and discount the vehicle.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I always figure Carfax is a place to start. If the carfax is bad, move along. If it's good, then run the VIN thru the manufacturer as others have said.
I agree with this process. This isn't a Ford thing, all the dealers do this and I am not sure if all repairs get reported to carfax anyway. Insurance companies don't necessary report to carfax either, nor the autobody shops. I had $23k in damage to my Cadillac years back, and nothing was reported when I indepentdantly purchased the carfax on my car. As it relates to Ford, always, always, demand the Oasis report on the Vin.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I agree with this process. This isn't a Ford thing, all the dealers do this and I am not sure if all repairs get reported to carfax anyway. Insurance companies don't necessary report to carfax either, nor the autobody shops. I had $23k in damage to my Cadillac years back, and nothing was reported when I indepentdantly purchased the carfax on my car. As it relates to Ford, always, always, demand the Oasis report on the Vin.
Carfax isn't some independent governing service. They are primarliy paid by the dealer body. They will take $ where ever it comes from and will tailor the service offering for those who pay their bills.