Ford Expedition (and others) TSB SSM 46451 2009-2017 6R80; 6R100, 6R140

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What were the symptoms? Never mind I'm already paranoid enough about this Expy. Thank goodness I bought the Ford extended warranty.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the issue is the recommended maintenance intervals. Too long between fluid changes.

There was 6R60 in Explorers from 06-08. The 6R75 was used in 07 & 08 Expeditions. Then 6R80 in all these platforms beyond 2008. If you go to Ford site and look for their rebuilt transmissions they group the 6R75 & 6R80 as the same transmission. Then 6R60 is on its own.

I remember reading the 6R75 and 80 transmissions were largely the same besides one shaft and the valve body.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the main point on starting this post was the manufacturers generally not advising owners of their vehicles of TSB details that would allow them to take preventative action to deal with possible safety or other faults before the Feds order them to, which can be a slow, prolonged process. Of course the manufacturers do not want the customers to know of the repairs they may/may not need to do due to potential cost issues for themselves generally before the Feds order them to or at least threaten. It would be nice to think there is a compromise in all this where at least all owners were advised that TSBs were issued and basically what they were for, offering perhaps a discounted oil change or something to get them into the shop. Does anyone know the details of this TSB on the 3rd Gen Expedition?

OP
OP
J

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford announced 1.5 Million vehicle this am including 2011-2013 F150's and various other vehicles up through 2019 ones for "sudden downshifts to 1st Gear" causing accidents and injuries including "whiplash" Given how violent the transmission acted in my 2017 Expedition Limited I sense that our transmission failure may have been a related issue. Gen 3 Expedition owners need to be aware of what is going on with this one.