2009 fix or sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am in love with the expeditions. My family has had them since they basically came out. Currently I’ve inherited a 2009 Eddie Bauer 165k miles that has a couple of different issues, and I’ve been told multiple things by different mechanics. I’m at the point where I’m trying to decide if I want to do repairs or sell it.

The transmission has been getting stuck in first gear randomly for a few years, maybe 30 or 40,000 miles. Now it’s starting to get stuck more often. Turning the SUV off and back on fixes it. So it seems like I really need a transmission replacement. No one seems to be interested in rebuilding it. Looks like that would be about $6000.

it needs new suspension all the way around and tie rods.

The engine runs rough while idling and throws camshaft sensor codes, that’s very intermittent as well. Timing is fine. I’ve put some oil cleaner inside of it. That seem to clear it out for a few months but then the issue came back.

The bumper has way too many holes in it, paint job is mostly holding. Interior is fine. I just took it on a 2000 mile trip and other than getting stuck in first gear constantly. It wasn’t too bad.

Ultimately, I’d like to really get a newer expedition. But I’ve been hearing terrible things about the newer engines. Granted, the 5.4v has its own quirks.

My partner has a Nissan armada that’s just as old with some issues, but not as many issues. Personally, I think the expedition is a much better investment than the Armada. I also have a fusion energi. I so it’s not like the expedition is the only vehicle. However we prefer it when the fusion won’t cut it and for road trips.

Are if some of you wouldn’t mind, what would you do in this situation?

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really need a transmission replacement. No one seems to be interested in rebuilding it. Looks like that would be about $6000.

Are if some of you wouldn’t mind, what would you do in this situation?
@JamusDemus , most of what you're talking about updating doesn't sound that bad, aside from the transmission. I'm not sure where your $6K number came from. I did a quick google and clicked on the first site that came up. These guys list a used trans for less than $1200 and remanufactured for ~$2500. https://reman-transmission.com/transmissions/ford/expedition/2009 . No affiliation, and I know nothing about their reputation, but thought you might want to check something similar out if you'd like to keep what you have.

OP
OP
J

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Yours have the 3.5 eco boost engine?
What terrible things? My 17 has 145k miles and running 19 mpg w/no issues.
@JamusDemus , most of what you're talking about updating doesn't sound that bad, aside from the transmission. I'm not sure where your $6K number came from. I did a quick google and clicked on the first site that came up. These guys list a used trans for less than $1200 and remanufactured for ~$2500. https://reman-transmission.com/transmissions/ford/expedition/2009 . No affiliation, and I know nothing about their reputation, but thought you might want to check something similar out if you'd like to keep what you have.
I appreciate it. Ford’’a website listed a new one for $4300 and the. Estimated labor. The 2 mechanics in comfortable with locally said I could order one or they would order one direct from Ford. The Reman is only about $$3800 through Ford as well. If I do get a reman then my concern is quality from where it comes from. I will check that out

proftomda

Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? I’m guessing your expo has more than 150,000 miles. A suspension rebuild, alignment, complete timing job with oil pump and a transmission replacement will cost at least $8000, more if 4wd. A quick search of NADA value for a 2009 expo Eddie Bauer 4wd with 150,000 miles in clean condition is $8900. It really comes down to your vehicle condition, accident, history, and how long do you want to own the car in order to reap that investment.