Ford Refusing to Honor Bumper to Bumper Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bring_em_on

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Take it to a different dealership. I purchased my 2016 F150 from them when it was under different ownership… they were ****** with their sales tactics and after that experience I never took it to them again. I would take it to Richmond ford, one of the largest in the state. Richmond always gave me exceptional service.

A good dealership can work and push Ford to replace under warranty. Not all dealerships want to escalate a customers concerns/complaints. I’ve found that high volume dealers that have more sway with the manufacturer are able to get warranties approved and turned around quicker than smaller dealers seem to be able to.
Thanks for the tip apex96. I'll get in touch with Richmond. There is also Koons Ford further up north. As far as volume goes, I believe Koons is up there too. I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford Rep's visit the dealerships periodically. Have your name put on the list to see the Rep. This should resolve the matter. Perhaps if it is a problem with material he will buy it. If not perhaps give you an allowance to purchase new ones.

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99WhiteC5sCoupe: You are totally correct. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and they snapped photos of the tail lights and sent them to Ford. Ford replied back that the lights appeared to be from a collision of sorts and not stress cracks. I'm attaching photos of the lights. Honestly, I wouldn't care about warranty taking care of it but the fact is that you cannot just buy the tail light housing/covers. You have to buy the whole assembly and each one is in excess of $700. So $1400 for tail lights that cracked under normal stress is infuriating.

Does anyone know how I request a regional rep? My local dealer is pretty much useless (Bayside Ford, King George, VA).
What I'm going to post is not going to be looked at favorably by the OP, but as the ex bodyshop owner on the forum, what I am seeing appear to be "deflection cracks", they are not a factory defect, something came in contact with the taillights causing them to flex inwards to the point of cracking. It could be as simple as someone kicking them (yes, I know how high up they are), or backing into a bush or two (this type of cracking I have seen before in just this type of situation), how this happened may remain a mystery, but somewhere along the line, it happened.

Bill S.

OP
OP
bring_em_on

bring_em_on

Reaction score
What I'm going to post is not going to be looked at favorably by the OP, but as the ex bodyshop owner on the forum, what I am seeing appear to be "deflection cracks", they are not a factory defect, something came in contact with the taillights causing them to flex inwards to the point of cracking. It could be as simple as someone kicking them (yes, I know how high up they are), or backing into a bush or two (this type of cracking I have seen before in just this type of situation), how this happened may remain a mystery, but somewhere along the line, it happened.

Bill S.
On most of those cracks, they are beneath the surface. If you ran your fingernail or other sharp object across them, you can tell they aren't on the surface. There are absolutely zero scuffs, scrapes, chips on the lens and it's on both sides of the vehicle. I haven't backed into anything and the rest of the vehicle is in mint condition. I keep an eye on them and additional ones are popping up weekly (the little tiny ones that are on the passenger side were not there when I took it to the dealer). Any way to explain this?

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On most of those cracks, they are beneath the surface. If you ran your fingernail or other sharp object across them, you can tell they aren't on the surface. There are absolutely zero scuffs, scrapes, chips on the lens and it's on both sides of the vehicle. I haven't backed into anything and the rest of the vehicle is in mint condition. I keep an eye on them and additional ones are popping up weekly (the little tiny ones that are on the passenger side were not there when I took it to the dealer). Any way to explain this?
As stated before, because of where the cracks are, and the direction in which they are seen, and the parallels, they are deflection stress cracks. Push on a sheet of plastic, and you can make the same type of cracks, on the inside, not the outside of the sheet, the same applies here. Could it be as I stated above, could it be a stress of the material as it was being loaded or unload off the transport from the manufacturer to the manufacturer of the lights, could a pallet been dropped in shipment after the lights were vacuum formed, there are so many things that could have happened, unfortunately no real way of knowing how it happened, just that it happened.

Bill S.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford's most recent guidelines on this topic are attached:

GSB 22-7002 - Various Vehicles - Exterior Lighting Concern Analysis - Jan 12, 2022...

Attachments

• General Service Bulletin 22-7002 - Various Vehicles - Exterior Lighting Concern Analysis.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
OP
OP
bring_em_on

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Ford's most recent guidelines on this topic are attached:

GSB 22-7002 - Various Vehicles - Exterior Lighting Concern Analysis - Jan 12, 2022...
Thank you! So figure 13 is a good example of some of the small cracks that I have (which cannot be felt), although not as numerous as in the photo. Most of the bigger ones cannot be felt either.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a claim was already sent to Ford via one dealer, can another dealer submit a claim for the same thing? I would assume they could but corporate would know via the VIN it was the same truck and just deny it again right?

They can. How they word the assessment can make a world of difference in whether Ford chooses to cover the repair. My power running boards were denied twice by Ford at 1 dealership - a dealership that was very adversarial about replacing them. They knew I lived 2.5 hours away and would not be coming in for regular service, so there was little interest in doing anything but fixing the problems that were noted on my sales contract for my CPO vehicle. The second dealership - eager to earn my business for future repairs - got the claim approved np though.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can. How they word the assessment can make a world of difference in whether Ford chooses to cover the repair. My power running boards were denied twice by Ford at 1 dealership - a dealership that was very adversarial about replacing them. They knew I lived 2.5 hours away and would not be coming in for regular service, so there was little interest in doing anything but fixing the problems that were noted on my sales contract for my CPO vehicle. The second dealership - eager to earn my business for future repairs - got the claim approved np though.
Totally agree. I live in AZ and bought my Timberline from a great dealer in UT. Supplies were limited and I was having a hard time finding one. They wanted 5k above and we agreed to meet in the middle. I candidly asked them why and they said because, yes the allocations are small for the Timberline but mainly is since I am out of town they will not get my vehicle service or possibly future sales. The repeat customer model is high on these dealers list so warranty work, especially tail lights where they wont make much at all, is not worth the effort.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks