Ford Reports Record Sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9500 Tahoes in March to Ford's 5600 Expis.

Granted, Ford's 5600 includes the SWB and LWB, so if you include the 4400 Burbs with the Tahoes, you get to about 14,000 units from The General. But you have to include the Yukon and the Yukon XL to get to 20,000.

Thanks for clarifying wasn’t sure

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its pretty simple.......The entry level XLT is way overpriced for the market. Ford had a year long fire sale on the 2017's, knocking $10,000 to $15,000 of the sticker just to get rid of them. The bargain hunters and budget minded people all bought the 2017, leaving no customers for the cheaper XLT 2018's. Drop the 2018 XLT price by $10,000 and they will start selling.

Also, there is new competition from the Chevy Traverse/Buick Encore that are stealing sales from both the Ford and GM full sized market. GM sold over 30,000 of these vehicles last months. Interior sizes between the GM mid sized vehicles and the regular sized Expedition are not that much different, but the price of the GM vehicles averages $20,000 to $30,000 cheaper. If you have an average sized family and don't tow anything, its hard to justify buying an Expedition XLT when the Traverse and/or Encore has similar interior space for so much less cost.

http://media.gm.com/dld/content/Page...March-2018.pdf

Maybe. Although, at $58K out the door, my Max XLT 4X4 doesn't seem unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $15K or so to tart it up. No way I'd have bought a discounted 2017, either, with all the improvements on the 2018. 5600 Expy's a month is lots better than the 3d Generation, which I think was selling at about 40,000/yr. Ford gave up lots of market share taking so long to introduce the 4th Gen. For towing, reliability, etc, the Expedition is just a better vehicle than any GM product. I got my Consumer Reports in the mail yesterday, the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Escalade, etc, don't even come close.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe. Although, at $58K out the door, my Max XLT 4X4 doesn't seem unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $15K or so to tart it up. No way I'd have bought a discounted 2017, either, with all the improvements on the 2018. 5600 Expy's a month is lots better than the 3d Generation, which I think was selling at about 40,000/yr. Ford gave up lots of market share taking so long to introduce the 4th Gen. For towing, reliability, etc, the Expedition is just a better vehicle than any GM product. I got my Consumer Reports in the mail yesterday, the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Escalade, etc, don't even come close.

Its too early to tell about the Expedition reliability, they have only been on the road for at most 4 months. Wait a year to get some real data to do the comparison. There have already been 2 recalls on the new Expeditions, and numerous people on here have reported issues with the new model year, especially electrical gremlins. Its just to early to tell if the Expedition will be better, worse, or the same as GM in quality and reliability.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the 3rd gen was released it sold about 91,000 units it’s first year, a lot more than projected this go round if you want to talk units sold the 3rd gen was more successful. Pricing is simply too high 58k for a XLT truck is ridiculous. Mine was $35,000 and now for the same truck it’s $58,000?! No thanks.

mssbf2011

Reaction score
@Scottorama Is there a link to the 2018 Expedition recalls? I was unable to find them on the Ford Owners website.

Apologies for going slightly off topic here :emotions36:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe. Although, at $58K out the door, my Max XLT 4X4 doesn't seem unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't pay the extra $15K or so to tart it up.

The MSRP on a 2018 XL MAX 4X4 is $52K and I've seen dealers listing them for $47ish. What amount of tarting up does your XLT have over the XL?

Last edited:

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your point on competition is true and they are just too expensive to sell as they once did. GM sells about 20,000 Tahoes alone monthly, ford sold 5600 expeditions, the expy is still being blown out of the water.

Pricing is simply too high 58k for a XLT truck is ridiculous. Mine was $35,000 and now for the same truck it’s $58,000?! No thanks.

I'm curious: how much do you think GM is charging for those 20,000 Tahoes each month?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious: how much do you think GM is charging for those 20,000 Tahoes each month?

The spread is huge. Shop both. GM asking is on average $3,000-$4,000 lower and with incentives and negotiations you easily get $10k off sticker. You can be in a decent LT for high $40s. My uncle just switched to GMC from ford, he’s always bought big fords and the spread was nearly $14,000 in GMs favor on a F-350 King Ranch vs 3500 Denali with incentives and negotiations on both. His last truck was a 2015 F-450 KR, they wanted nearly $10,000 more today than in 2015 for the same truck. Fords pricing and lack of negotiation is losing them customers. For a Tahoe you can get into for $47,000 the ford would be $57,000 lol.

The thing is a vehicle is a depreciating asset, only emotions come into play with these transaction prices, they aren’t worth what people pay. These are becoming a consumer only vehicle. The bottom line is it’s a tool for driving, that’s the way companies look at it and it’s the way I look at it. Ford always was the better value for years offering lower prices for a good truck, not so much right now. Can’t argue sales are up though somethings working.

Last edited: