front brake dragging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 2004 5.4 4x4 has the front passenger brake dragging. if i spin it by hand, i can feel resistance. is there a way to find out if it is the caliper or something else?

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do you know it's dragging? some resistance when checking by hand is normal, usually sticking is lack of maintenance, you start by having a look, ensuring the slider & pins are lubed and that the pistons can be pushed back into the caliper bores,

i can do the above quick after taking the wheel off,

old dirty fluid causes problems

Last edited:
OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know it is dragging because I can hear a squeak every rotation after it warms up a bit. I will try the slider pins first. I only had a few minutes the other day and took it apart and I was able to push the Pistons back in so I'm leaning toward slider pins.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lubricate the slider pins then test drive again. After a while, stop and feel the front disc rotor (carefully!) for excessive heat. If its very hot, your brake caliper is dragging.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the ends of the brake pads (they are u shaped, at least for 98) also slide along where they mount to the brackets,

eitherway, lube area points also

ditto on this part (feel the front disc rotor (carefully!))) checking for heat, if they are dragging, they can get too hot to even touch

i had a caliper that would stick when braking hard, when it did, i would get a humming noise,

when you say "squeaking", do you mean just under braking? or constant? under braking doesn't necessarily indicate/mean dragging or sticking

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the anti drag spring is still there pushing the pads apart. The pad shouldn't even contact the rotor unless you're stepping on the brake pedal.

-Mike

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to grease my slide pins with regular CRC brake grease, but I realized it makes the rubber bushings swell, making the pins stick and the brakes drag even worse..sil-glyde is the best for them.

OP
OP

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, it squeaks anytime I'm driving, not when braking. I don't think there is a spring keeping them apart. At least that I know of. I'll check that as well.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you have a look, check both sides cos if they feel about the same temp then the squeaking is about something else

depending when/how you check, you might feel the heat on one side just bringing your hand close to the wheel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev