Front brake replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitehat

Reaction score
If anyone is going to do the front brakes on your 1997 and think your just going to get the rotors turned, have fun. The rotors DON'T come off easy. I ended up replacing the rotors. When they were designed the factory did'nt give the rotors very much of a gap between the hub and rotor and over time dirt, rust etc. gets in and seizes the rotors to the hubs. Without using a torch, I got them off but I had to use a sledge hammer. Whatever you do if you get the old off or you just buy new, make sure you invest in a tube of anti-seize and smear it around the hub were the rotor fits and it might help save problems in the future. Has anyone else had this expierence or was it just me????

KalMcDaniel

Reaction score
I heard the same thing. I had a friend that used to work for ford that told me you have to literally take sledge to them and break them off in pieces. I just ordered a set of brembo slotted rotors and pads. Did you replace the bearings and seals too?

G

Yes. Fortunately we use a brake lathe that turns the rotors on the vehicle. I have found that P.B. Blaster work best when trying to get the rotors off. You have to spray them and let them sit for about 10/15 minutes ans give them another shot.

OP
OP
W

whitehat

Reaction score
Kal,

I did'nt replace the bearings and seals. But I wish I had, I have'nt had any problems at all, I just did'nt think about it. However I'm not real happy with the brake pads I bought so they might get replaced again in the future. The brake dust is terrible!!!!!!!! I'm thinking about getting the rotor covers that go between the wheel and the rotors to keep the dust down but I've heard good and bad things.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
USE CERAMICS!!!!
I have the Raybestos Ceramic Quiet Stops on my '98EB.

Very little VISABLE dust, so I don't have to clean my rims very often.

To all of you with Exby's from '97 to '02, I think the Ceramics are readily available from several manufacturers.

If we all start using the ceramics, then this problem will not be so prevelant on the forums (hint) :D

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember what whitehat advises above. Make sure whoever puts the rotors back on smears on plenty of anti-sieze compound over the hub so the new rotors will not stick.
I had purchased my Exby used, but the original owner of my Exby also owned a Auto Sales/Repair outfit. He had immediately after buying new, took the rotors off and put the anit-sieze on. When it came time for me to put my Brembo rotors on, the originals just slide right off, no problems at all!

G

Originally posted by whitehat
Kal,

I did'nt replace the bearings and seals. But I wish I had, I have'nt had any problems at all, I just did'nt think about it. However I'm not real happy with the brake pads I bought so they might get replaced again in the future. The brake dust is terrible!!!!!!!! I'm thinking about getting the rotor covers that go between the wheel and the rotors to keep the dust down but I've heard good and bad things.

Rotor covers will greatly reduce the cooling effect on your rotors/pads. These are big vehicles and need all the cooling you can get!

KalMcDaniel

Reaction score
After pounding on each side for about an hour they finally came off. Ran through an entire can of PB blaster. My body is feeling it today.

skunky26

Reaction score
I just Replaced my brakes & Rotors on my 99 Ford Expedition & believe it or not i had no problems. The front rotors came off with out a problem. The only problem I had was my rear rotors the Emergency Adjustment was locked Tight i had to heat them up in order to remove my rear rotors. Come to find out i really didn't need rotors just brakes but since i bought everything i just put them on.