2008 Front Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Replaced front brakes on my 2008. I did this five years ago and the old Motorcraft pads had 55,000 miles on them. There was still lots of pad material on them but they were starting to wear unevenly.

After the five years, I also replaced the rubber caliper pin boots and the pins. I found one caliper pin boot had its cover missing, which allowed the pin to rust and bind. OEM pins use a 9mm hex bit to remove; most after market ones use a 7mm. The rotors came off easily as I had used anti-seize when I installed them five years ago.

The rubber boots are a bear to install. The old ones had hardened and had to be gouged out of the calipers. The new ones had to be greased and shoved into the holes in the calipers short end first. Those mounting holes were cleared of rust with a round file. I ruined a set of boots installing them without filing the rust out of the holes first. The boots with the hard plastic insert go in the leading (bottom) holes on the caliper and they won't fit if the holes have New York rust on them.

The plastic covers on the boots went on with a little silicone gasket maker to better retain them.

These are very big brake pads and a complex arrangement. It took about an hour and a half to get the job done, and the rubber boots weren't easy to find. I always use Motorcraft parts where I can because I find that I'm doing a bit less work using them and having fewer annoying surprises. I also have less money left over to get myself in trouble.

ediddily

Reaction score
Is there any specific information your looking for or just your schpiel?

Davadid

Reaction score
When it comes to rebuilding the calipers, does this pin/rubber boot combo get pressed out? There’s no way the rubber or pin will move by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I put 55,000 miles on those Motorcraft brake pads and rotors in suburban/city driving. Pretty good bang for the buck. Doing the rears now with 58,000 miles.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it comes to rebuilding the calipers, does this pin/rubber boot combo get pressed out? There’s no way the rubber or pin will move by hand.
When I changed mine, the steel pin pressed out (very easily) then I was able to remove the rubber boot. Install was the reverse, installed the new rubber part and then pressed the steel tube (by hand) in, and that was it. My rubber boot had all dried up and started crackin, so I just replaced it before anything started to rust and seize up.