Front heater doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and It's nice to have something in common with most of you. Anyway, I recently bought a 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition and I'm truly loving it! I have only one problem that I was hoping someone could help me with. The front heater does not blow warm air at all, while the rear does. The truck has a small V8 engine, with about 100,000 original miles. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Heater core, thermostat, heater valve, in need of antifreeze flush? Thanks in advance...:cool:

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
elejes,

Does the fan blow at all???

I would do a flush in any case.

I will check my manuals to see if there is anything else to check.

OP
OP
G

Yes, it does blow air. It's not warm at all though. I hope it's not the actuator because I hear it's a pain to fix it. Thanks for your response...

OP
OP
G

I have the same issue with a 97, only it is blowing hot all the time. The rear will blow cold though. Actuator, what do you mean by that?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the fan motor on LOW, move the temp. control from hot to cold. Listen for the actuator door (blend door) to open and close. It may be a two person affair...

If you don't hear anything be prepared to open it up and repair it. :nono:

I do not know exactly how the older Expys blend doors and actuators work but when you're under there (under the dash; Passenger side) make sure that all the wires and hoses are tight. Some are vacuum actuated and some are electric. Check all the connections either way.

Also make sure your temp control switch is working.

OP
OP
G

I think my issue is the temp. control knob. has anyone ever replaced one of those? Is getting the dash open in order to get to the temp knobs a a big deal. Thanks in advance.:cool:

OP
OP
G

Originally posted by monsta
With the fan motor on LOW, move the temp. control from hot to cold. Listen for the actuator door (blend door) to open and close. It may be a two person affair...

If you don't hear anything be prepared to open it up and repair it. :nono:

I do not know exactly how the older Expys blend doors and actuators work but when you're under there (under the dash; Passenger side) make sure that all the wires and hoses are tight. Some are vacuum actuated and some are electric. Check all the connections either way.

Also make sure your temp control switch is working.
I think I hear something flap when I do this, I guess it's something else then. Will I smell the anti-freeze if it's the heater core? I'll check carefully this weekend, thanks!

OP
OP
G

I fixed the problem!! Turns out it was the control switch that controls the warm and cold air. I pulled out the knob and noticed it was sitting in there incorrectly. I repositioned the knob correctly, making sure the inside of the white plastic insertion was correct. Lord it be hold, I have warm air. Thanks to everyone who responded. :cheers: