Front leather seat potential issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DD777

Reaction score
This potential issue is nothing new and I think most of us have experienced it. I am starting to see some signs of the leather bowing up and being loose in the back two parts of the driver seat right where your sit bones would be located on the seat. The other seats are not showing this yet and like I said I know this can be a common issue according to the type of leather as well as how the seats are stitched.

Is there anything that can be done to help prevent this and or fix it?

Thanks and I am really enjoying the forum.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This potential issue is nothing new and I think most of us have experienced it. I am starting to see some signs of the leather bowing up and being loose in the back two parts of the driver seat right where your sit bones would be located on the seat. The other seats are not showing this yet and like I said I know this can be a common issue according to the type of leather as well as how the seats are stitched.

Is there anything that can be done to help prevent this and or fix it?

Thanks and I am really enjoying the forum.
What are “sit bones” and where are they located on the human body? What part of the seat are you even talking about?

OP
OP
D

DD777

Reaction score
I probably did a poor job of describing the area I was talk about. See the driver side seat picture attached that I found online. It actually shows a little bit of what I was trying to describe.

971A4432-1C17-4FC0-9AE0-D2A5F5132CEE.jpeg

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I see it. I have an 18 XLT with leather and I am a heavy guy and I've not noticed the leather dimpling like shown in the photo. Almost looks like someone was driving around with a George Costanza wallet in their right rear pocket.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I see it. I have an 18 XLT with leather and I am a heavy guy and I've not noticed the leather dimpling like shown in the photo. Almost looks like someone was driving around with a George Costanza wallet in their right rear pocket.
How heavy a guy are you? You may just have more... let’s just call it ‘padding’ between your ass bone and the seat. Or it could be a George Coatanza wallet.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How heavy a guy are you? You may just have more... let’s just call it ‘padding’ between your ass bone and the seat. Or it could be a George Coatanza wallet.
Haha. I’m just shy of 285 at 5’10”. My posterior is convex to be sure. Other than a thick wallet there could be a defect in the foam padding creating a divit between the padding and the leather. But it certainly looks like a divit made by a thick wallet in that photo.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trust me, when I was 225 pounds I still went through seats every 3-4 years. As my weight increased over 300 due to age/diet, and who cares, my seats are still worn out in 4 years or so. Skinny ass people don't understand. I had a girlfriend that never heard of a seat wearing out. I reminded her that since I was 18, and drove my Volkswagen bug, I've replaced every driver seat on every car/truck I've owned. And I've owned over 20 cars . Some matched, some didn't. Didn't matter if I was muscular and 225 or well we won't talk of the present, but some bodies are just harder on seats. My 2000 just past 4 years with me, and you guessed it, I need a new/used Eddie Bauer seat in tan! Anyone got one?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wallet theory makes sense. My side arm is doing some wear on the lumbar portion of the seat so it makes sense.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe something with the way the cooling vents or heating element was installed in the seat....