Front left wheel humming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
This is for an 03 expedition 4.6
The front left side hums as I drive. But when I make a sharp left turn it stops making that sound. I replaced the wheel bearing a year ago and that didn't help at all. Please help thank you..

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
If 4WD maybe a partially engaged Integrated Wheel End. That’s all I can think of except some weird tire thing.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aside from the IWE it could also be the tire. If the tread is not wearing evenly they can really make some noise.

That said it does sound like a wheel bearing hub of course.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it certainly is possible the new bearing was faulty out of the box. I'm sure some brands are more likely to be faulty when new than others, but it can happen to any of course. I won't use bearings other than Timken or OEM if I can avoid it. I suggest jacking it up and spending some time troubleshooting, at least that's what I have to do.

I often spend a couple hours on multiple days trying to figure out an issue. This scenario is what taught me that turning wrenches is fairly easy from a mental perspective, it's the experience to diagnose/troubleshoot quickly and accurately that separates a DIY mechanic like me from a truly good mechanic.

To test the IWE you can jack up the wheel and pull a vacuum on the IWE. Then rotate the tire and see if the axle spins or any sound aside from a very light brake drag. You can pick up a vacuum pump fairly cheap or rent one from Advance Auto Parts. You can also start the engine to pull a vacuum, but it's so noisy it's hard to hear the bearing, IWE, axle etc...

peeteri

Reaction score
Well it certainly is possible the new bearing was faulty out of the box. I'm sure some brands are more likely to be faulty when new than others, but it can happen to any of course. I won't use bearings other than Timken or OEM if I can avoid it. I suggest jacking it up and spending some time troubleshooting, at least that's what I have to do.

I often spend a couple hours on multiple days trying to figure out an issue. This scenario is what taught me that turning wrenches is fairly easy from a mental perspective, it's the experience to diagnose/troubleshoot quickly and accurately that separates a DIY mechanic like me from a truly good mechanic.

To test the IWE you can jack up the wheel and pull a vacuum on the IWE. Then rotate the tire and see if the axle spins or any sound aside from a very light brake drag. You can pick up a vacuum pump fairly cheap or rent one from Advance Auto Parts. You can also start the engine to pull a vacuum, but it's so noisy it's hard to hear the bearing, IWE, axle etc...
RWD truck, so no IWEs.
Possible bad bearing.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ahh okay, I did not notice the previous note on RWD. Yeah if you're sure it's the left front it must be the wheel bearing. I still think jacking it up and testing the wheel bearing for play and rotating the tire and listening is a good start. You mentioned the noise is reduced when turning left unloading the bearing, if the noise also increases as you turn right then I'd say the wheel bearing is the culprit.

I have had much better luck the last few years with OEM parts over aftermarket. I've also found some pretty good prices when I searched for a while. I got both front Motorcraft hubs for my '04 4WD Exp for $218, but it took a good bit of time and searching:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1118184&cc=1411108&pt=1636&jsn=535

At $95 it might be worth trying the Moog, but their quality has taken a real nose dive in recent years in my opinion:

Doug Reed

Reaction score
I have the same thing on my 04. It started when I put new more aggressive tires on it. They are also pretty cheap so the rubber compound probably isn't good either.

pdmcneil

Reaction score
I just saw this post for the first time. I have the same issue on an 06. It's a 2wd, bearing replaced, not the tire, not any of the suggestions I see here. I'm now wondering if it is in some way the power steering pump. I know it sounds crazy but when you you hear the moan when even slightly have the wheel turning right and completely go away when you turn the wheel just a little to the left, well.... I've changed the passenger bearing before and this doesn't sound the same, it almost sounds like it's under the hood.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani