Fuel and emissions issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The guy is right in the video. But doesn’t happen to often. Manufacturers try to prevent this with the vents and hope no one force fills the car to the point it flows over. One thing that happen in the summer. Especially places that get cool in the evening and hot in the day. Is a person force fills the tank in the evening. Even if it’s just to round up to the perfect pump. They park the car and in the heat of the day the fuel expands and off gasses and fills the canister. May have not been a problem if they where driving on a long trip or using some of the fuel or if there was not such a drastic temperature change. Anyone ever leave a full gas can with the vents closed in the summer sun? I think it’s weird they are waiting on a engineer. Who knows, your car may have the COVID or murder hornets in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being used, they should just replace the thing. You haven't had it long enough to fill a canister, but the previous owner could have. There is usually a 30 day limited warranty on all used vehicles, so that they can't sell you a heap with band-aid fixes that break in a couple of weeks. Kindly ask them to replace the canister, at their cost, and they can use that if it happens again they can investigate further. I usually fill by going to one click, then waiting 20 to 30 seconds for fuel to settle and then a second click. I also try to fill on the lowest output for that last 5 gallons or so.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is usually a 30 day limited warranty on all used vehicles, ...
The canister is part of the emission system which is warrantied 5 years/50,000 miles. Three weeks and no fix is time to start a lemon law by-back.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Pumping fuel after the pump clicks off, can fill the charcoal canister and vapor lines with fuel. Once the fuel level drops and vehicle is driven, the issue may not happen. Run the tank down and let is sit a while. That may be what the dealer is doing.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The canister is part of the emission system which is warrantied 5 years/50,000 miles. Three weeks and no fix is time to start a lemon law by-back.

Only if it is a defect. Problems caused by misuse are not covered. So if the canister itself was failing to capture vapors, warranty, if it is filled with gasoline because you force fill the tank until gas flows out the top, no warranty.

OP
OP
A

A___A

Reaction score
I can’t say for sure but I know filling it up myself I have gone a couple clicks into each fill up. But I really hope the fuel system isn’t that sensitive. But who knows. Dealership thinks they know what the issues is so we shall see.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Straight out of the owners manual.

WARNING: Stop refueling when
the fuel pump nozzle automatically
shuts off for the first time. Failure to
follow this will fill the expansion space
in the fuel tank and could lead to fuel
overflowing.

Craigga542

Reaction score
FWIW, I also have a 19 Escape work vehicle. I routinely top off and fill the max I can out of pure frustration from the driving range of the vehicle. I did the same with my 15 Escape and 17 Cherokee. I have yet to see any kind of issue or CEL from this, albeit I never top off that much with my personal vehicles as they always have a “normal” driving range. I will likely be doing the same with my 22 Ranger that will replace this Escape unless I have some issue from it. That’s roughly a combined 163k miles and 3 vehicles over 5 years, excluding maybe 25-30k miles in rental vehicles with the same procedure, and no issues.

Edited to include that the Escape manuals have the same verbiage, along with other warnings regarding overfilling.