A year that DOESN'T have massive transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Agree on T-stat. Second, who did the tranny? Is it a Ford reman tranny? Third. Be religious on the tranny and diff fluids every 60K. Let us know!

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
I think the thermostat is a TSB item not a recall. You bought a 2019, Ford that’s 3/36 warranty, get your checkbook ready.
If indeed a "transmission issue" would fall under powertrain which would run 5yrs/60k miles.

We had a similar issue after getting ours serviced for hard shifts. They reset it and topped off/overfilled the trans fluid. It later began to overheat and smoke on the highway several hundred miles later. They corrected the level for free but later on we found there was a rear seal that had been compromised - possibly causing the leak or secondary to the overheating (who knows).

Either way I do recommend a third party warranty because we like our expedition and the warranty has already proved ed helpful. We have the highest tier warranty offered by Endurance with 7yrs/150k miles and it's great.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If indeed a "transmission issue" would fall under powertrain which would run 5yrs/60k miles.

We had a similar issue after getting ours serviced for hard shifts. They reset it and topped off/overfilled the trans fluid. It later began to overheat and smoke on the highway several hundred miles later. They corrected the level for free but later on we found there was a rear seal that had been compromised - possibly causing the leak or secondary to the overheating (who knows).

Either way I do recommend a third party warranty because we like our expedition and the warranty has already proved ed helpful. We have the highest tier warranty offered by Endurance with 7yrs/150k miles and it's great.

Incompetent techs have tendency to take short cuts and fill up the 10R80 before the fluid temperature climbs over 200F. It's hard to find a trustful service workshop. So, each time I bring my vehicle in for complicated services, I always print out some key parameters (like torque specs for fragile nuts, tranny fluid operating temperature) myself, and politely ask service advisors to give my paper to techs.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've had a 97, 2000, 2004 and 2013. The 2000 had the tranny replaced in warranty with nearly 36k miles.

OP
OP
T

TravisExpy

Reaction score
Agree on T-stat. Second, who did the tranny? Is it a Ford reman tranny? Third. Be religious on the tranny and diff fluids every 60K. Let us know!
I don’t remember who did the tranny. It’s on the car fax report though and the dealership was going to pull it to check. Thanks for the tip on the fluids!
No word from the dealership today but they said it would be a few days before they had a chance to look at it.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Based on my Transmission experience getting my fluid changed, it isn't an easy task. I used a reputable shop away from the dealer and had to bring it back to them three times. I am wondering if it isn't the thermostat but could be the part that allows the tranny fluid to go to the exchange where it uses the coolant from the engine to cool the tranny temp. I believe there is a part in that circuit that waits for the transmission to be hot to exchange the heat to the coolant. Blanking on the name of it. The tech I used claimed to have had a full class on this transmission and that was a stated issue.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on my Transmission experience getting my fluid changed, it isn't an easy task. I used a reputable shop away from the dealer and had to bring it back to them three times. I am wondering if it isn't the thermostat but could be the part that allows the tranny fluid to go to the exchange where it uses the coolant from the engine to cool the tranny temp. I believe there is a part in that circuit that waits for the transmission to be hot to exchange the heat to the coolant. Blanking on the name of it. The tech I used claimed to have had a full class on this transmission and that was a stated issue.

The root cause is Ford's stupid & cheap design of the 10R80. That's for certain. Otherwise, it couldn't be explained why Surburban's 10L80 doesn't have so many problems.

OP
OP
T

TravisExpy

Reaction score
UPDATE!
It's nice that our service tech is being honest but it's not what I want to hear. They replaced the valve body sleeve which did not fix the problem. They've now ordered parts to rebuild the transmission (not that the transmission was replaced at 39,000 miles and now again at 47,000). The tech said he'd love to tell me that it would truly be fixed now but that he's learned not to because of the known issues with these thing. he said he's seen them hold up for quite a while and others be back within a few weeks. The transmission issues were fixed in the 2022s and newer. There's a part on backorder so it will be another couple of weeks at least before I get my car back and luckily they have given me a loaner. Now we're debating on if we should keep it and see how long the "fix" holds or trade it in for a 2022...which I really don't want to shell out the money for.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fwiw, I've been towing a 5000 lb trailer about 5000 or 6000 miles in mostly very hot weather in Mexico since Jan 4th with my 2019 Stealth that has HD tow, trans temps are consistently cool, and it's been mostly flawless... I have about 70,000 miles total now... A few odd shifts when abruptly accelerating up hills ito pass at highway speeds in tow/haul mode, but nothing too scary.

OP
OP
T

TravisExpy

Reaction score
Fwiw, I've been towing a 5000 lb trailer about 5000 or 6000 miles in mostly very hot weather in Mexico since Jan 4th with my 2019 Stealth that has HD tow, trans temps are consistently cool, and it's been mostly flawless... I have about 70,000 miles total now... A few odd shifts when abruptly accelerating up hills ito pass at highway speeds in tow/haul mode, but nothing too scary.
I really don’t understand why some have tons of issues and some have basically none. So glad yours works well for you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani