Fuel Filter Change help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay, I have a filter and a metal quick release tool. Problem is I cant really fiqure out how to use the quick release tool, and I'm not sure how to remove the fuel line from the filter or release the presure.

:confused:

Can anyone walk me through it? There are some metal clips that seem to be helping secure the hose to the filter. I can get those off easily. But what next????

Thanks in advance

icegrill

Reaction score
Open gas cap to relieve the pressure, pull filter off from holding clips; insert tool in one end of filter and simply pull off; do other side. install new filter and put back on holder.

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, I guess the way this tool works is that the little lip on the tool slides up underneath the hose clamp allowing it to slide off over the little ridge on the fuel filter right? Well it looks like the tool I got is too big. The smallest part of the tool is too big. It wont slide up under the clamp.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Opening the gas cap will NOT relieve the fuel line pressure.

You have two choices.

1. Find the Schrader valve on the injector line and press it. Have a rag handy.

2. Start the truck and pull the fuel pump fuse and let the truck die.

if you do not relieve the pressure one of those two ways, you'll be taking a bath in gas.

Make sure you wear goggles/glasses!

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
monsta, where were you yesterday??? I had a feeling gas was gonna come spilling out. So I positioned myself to the side away from the fuel filter. Sure as Sheit, about a cups worth came spilling out. But I got the job done. Not a big deal

icegrill

Reaction score
i changed mine like 3 months ago and not a spill of gas after i opened the gas cover....i wonder where i got that theory from???

coryrhonda

Reaction score
no residule fuel pressure is why you did not have fuel spay out. Most commonly the problem is the fuel pressure regulator, but a little trouble shooting and the fuel leak is not too hard to find.

Chunk42

Reaction score
I have a 2005. I can't find a Schrader valve on the fuel injection rail. The R303 fuel pump relay is not accessible without removing and disassembling the fuse box.

Can I use the fuel shut off switch instead or will that cause other problems?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2005. I can't find a Schrader valve on the fuel injection rail. The R303 fuel pump relay is not accessible without removing and disassembling the fuse box.

Can I use the fuel shut off switch instead or will that cause other problems?

i disconnect the pigtail on my fuel shut off switch, but its a '97, & located on the pass kick panel.

should work, just make sure you start it and let it die out after you do it to relieve the pressure.