2014 Calipers not releasing fully, Hoses or ABS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chickenator

Reaction score
So I am sort of in the troubleshooting phase.

For a long time I have noticed sometimes when I stop the car is slow to take off. I was thinking the tranny was not fully downshifting. Also once in a while, thinking back after a stop, when I go up an incline the transmission trys to do a funny shilt.

I also feel the braking is not full at first. I am usually gental on the pedal and it is like there is a delay in the brake force. But I am thinking it is a big vehicle and there is NO pull.

Recently I was about 45 miles from home and it had been acting up. The transmission was doing some odd shifts so I am thinking it is going to fail on me. It was also smelly, but transmission smelly burn (ya I know that one). So I check the wheels for heat. The front right is really hot and the left is a little less hot. The rear are just normal warm.
I jacked the wheels and they were not moving. So I had the car towed the 45 miles.

Troubleshooting was confusing at first because the additional drag from the front axles. I thought they should not be connected and there was something in the hub to disconnect. But the calipers were locking up with a press on the pedal.

When you open the bleeder the caliper releases. Opening one does not release the other (not the master cylinder).

I have on order some motorcraft lines. Due in Wed.

I have done a lot with older cars, but not much with ABS beyond hanging new parts and being patient to let the fluid to come through (brother is a mercedes mechanic but is on vacation right now so he knows stuff).

I also have no codes (well some sensor in the door mirror).

What are the fail modes of the ABS? Is there a mode where it can prevent both front brakes from releasing fluid holding the calipers tight?

Or am I likely fixing this with new hoses?

Yes I searched a bunch but only found where there were ABS codes are very obvoius ABS issues.

Thanks

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would definitely replace all the rubber brake lines and flush the entire brake fluid. At that age, my 01 started having a caliper to lock up due to the hose at the right rear.

doztwo

Reaction score
I was having same issue with front brakes in my 03 Expedition.. I live in Western Massachusetts... Rust heaven.... Clamp that holds the hose to the chassis was rusted to the extent that it choked the hose and brake fluid wouldn't pass through...

Benoit

Reaction score
I was having same issue with front brakes in my 03 Expedition.. I live in Western Massachusetts... Rust heaven.... Clamp that holds the hose to the chassis was rusted to the extent that it choked the hose and brake fluid wouldn't pass through...
same issue on my Fusion 2010. Hard ton find but simple to fix ! ******* rust !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett