Fuel Milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2005 5.4, 24valve. Daily driver. 15.6 average on computer readout.
Some highway, mostly rural, under 70 mph.
5W20 synthetic, 37psi in tires.
Mileage drops down a couple of tenths in the winter.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't pay but $2500 for my EB w/100098 miles. I just feed it when it is hungry & use Hot Shot's Gasoline Extreme in every 5th tank. 10-30w Rotella + Hot Shot's FR3 for lube.

Bill Wade

Reaction score
06 Limited. 60% hwy, 40% city. Use STP 5W-20 with 1qt Lucas Oil. Plugs changed 30k ago with OEM. Average 15-16MPG depending on ratio of hwy to city. Vehicle has 193k miles. Run a K&N air filter with stock air box and ducting.

Rusty90272

Reaction score
Let's do some math on getting something expensive like a tuner/chip/programmer...

Say your Ex gets 14 miles per gallon and you do 12,000 miles per year, the average an American drives. You'll use 857.14 gallons. At $3 a gallon you'll spend $2571.43 dollars a year on gas.

Let's say your chip/tuner gets you an extra 2 miles per gallon. Now you're paying $2250 per year.

Savings: $321 per year.

How much does the tuner cost? Banks programmer is $500 with tax (rounding here).

How much to install? $100? Free?

Either way, depending upon the price of gas, if it goes up and it will, it will be worth it in about 1.5 years.
If the price of gas goes down (not likely) 2 years.
If you drive less than 12,000 miles, that extends the time it takes to pay for itself. If you drive more than that it shortens the time.

And you run the risk of damaging your engine and drive-train by messing with the specs that a tuner does.

DonM

Reaction score
I have an 06 Eddie Bauer that now has 212,000 miles. I can get 21 mpg on the highway if I drive below 70. Driving 55 and being careful I can get 23.
Around town, again being careful about quick starts and stops, I get 16-17. We're not in a really congested area expect at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and I avoid driving in town at those times.
Pulling my bass boat it goes down rather quickly to 14-15.
Everything factory, always used synthetic oil and I put a little Seafoam in the gasoline now and then.
If you are like my wife who only understands full speed ahead and then intensive braking at the stop light, expect 14! :)

Old Guy

Reaction score
I have an 06 Limited that averages around 15MPG. Wondering if anyone with a second gen is getting anything better than that and if so have you done any modifications to achieve a higher MPG. Thanks in advance.

That's about what I got. Add a K & N engineering low restriction air filter. helps mileage and mid range performance

jpwhre

Reaction score
06 limited. Reset the mpg on dash while on highway a while ago. Doing 70, pulling trailer to do a dump run. Scale showed 6600lbs as I left. Trailer maybe 5-600 pound small utility. Was getting 15.6 on that run. Otherwise I haven't reset the mpg in 6 months. Some highway, lots of city. Was showing 11.6 before reset. 100% stock truck with 67k miles.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reset MPG, be sure brakes including e brake are not dragging, and stay below 70. I believe anything over 68 ECU sends wide open throttle calibration.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just made a trip to Newport KY on Tuesday and with 7 people (4 adults) and what seemed like every spare inch of free space packed w whatever my kids could cram in, 6 phones/tablets running power, radio going, both AC's on full blast in 90+ heat running about 72 the whole way I got right at 15.9mpg. Not bad considering the full load and temps. That was 87 from costco... it was convenient. I generally run 89 shell near where I work.

Reningee

Reaction score
I just did phaser lockouts, a tune and plugs (NONE BROKE!) and I am now getting 15.5 combined freeway and mountain driving (2 lane) AC on and 70+ for parts of it. That was way better than the 13 I was getting. Maybe I can drive more gently and see what I get.