Fuel Milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 Expedition EL with 5.4 and automatic with the 3.73 gears and 4WD.

I'm getting 16 around town and 17 on road trips down here in the flat lands. It drops to 16 mpg in the mountains. I'm happy as can be with it. Just 1 mpg less than our Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 six cylinder and about 1 MPG more than my 05 Silverado with std. cab, 4.8 V8, 4WD and manual transmission.

creecer

Reaction score
I get about 13 around town, 17.5 on the highway. If I'm easy and cautious on the highway, I get closer to 20. My wife gets about 10.5 around town. Of course, she could make a Prius get single digits...

2003 EB 4x4, 5.4 2v

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 Expedition EL with 5.4 and automatic with the 3.73 gears and 4WD.

I'm getting 16 around town and 17 on road trips down here in the flat lands. It drops to 16 mpg in the mountains. I'm happy as can be with it. Just 1 mpg less than our Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 six cylinder and about 1 MPG more than my 05 Silverado with std. cab, 4.8 V8, 4WD and manual transmission.

That's not hills and stop signs and stop signs on hills every which way you look, though, right???

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very few stop signs or stop lights. Most of those miles are on the interstate on I64 in western VA and eastern WV. Not more than a stop sign or three between Sam Black Church and home. No stop lights.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
Last year after doing the timing work and upgrading to the melling high flow/pressure oil pump, I decided to determine where the best mileage occurred on the highway.

I drove from Myrtle Beach, SC to Cary, NC with the cruise set at no more than 55 mph. I got 21.3 mpg. The next time I drove the same route at 60 mph and got 18.3 mpg. My third trip was at no more than 65 mph and I got 17.9.

I had approximately 100k on an ‘05 XLT 4WD and was lightly loaded at the time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last year after doing the timing work and upgrading to the melling high flow/pressure oil pump, I decided to determine where the best mileage occurred on the highway.

I drove from Myrtle Beach, SC to Cary, NC with the cruise set at no more than 55 mph. I got 21.3 mpg. The next time I drove the same route at 60 mph and got 18.3 mpg. My third trip was at no more than 65 mph and I got 17.9.

I had approximately 100k on an ‘05 XLT 4WD and was lightly loaded at the time.
It is my theory that you would get the best fuel mileage right after your vehicle shifts into its highest gear had just about 2 to 3 miles an hour over so you could limit any downshifts.
Of course with some older cars that only have a 4-speed overdrive transmission this would be about 44 to 46 miles an hour and that gets a little rough on the interstate although I did drive 1230 miles from Denver Colorado to Dayton Ohio at 45 miles an hour.
I have found The Sweet Spot 4 some Ford trucks and excursions to be between 60 and 62. But I've never really been able to maintain a long enough trip at sub-50 to 55 to tell if there's any increase.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats where I cruise at in town when I can. It's a lot of 35-40mph around here but holding about 45 seems to keep it in 4th unless you really get into it and bets me those high 13s city. Otherwise it's like 11.5.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats where I cruise at in town when I can. It's a lot of 35-40mph around here but holding about 45 seems to keep it in 4th unless you really get into it and bets me those high 13s city. Otherwise it's like 11.5.
Yes but you will never achieve the mileage around town at those speeds due to stopping starting and idling at lights.
On the highway you would get great mpg at 44-48 but would die of boredom OR someone blasting you.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
City around here is more like medium sized town. Not actually city stoplights every 300 yards. I'm talking a mile or two between stops. The only true city driving I do is the last 3 miles to/from work typically. More lights/stops in that stretch than the previous 30miles combined. I wouldnt drive 45 on a hwy even if it netted me 30mpg in this thing. I dont have time for that nonsense.

Anyone that tries to hypermile a full size SUV needs slapped. If its light traffic and I have absolutely nothing to do I'll usually cruise upper 60s on the hwy. Its 55 where I'm at so that is still moving at a reasonable speed with regards to other traffic. That seems to get me my best mpg at a reasonable pace. I'll pay the price in mpg for the 15min it saves me each day not driving like grandma. That's like an extra week of time I dont spend in a vehicle at the end of a year.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
City around here is more like medium sized town. Not actually city stoplights every 300 yards. I'm talking a mile or two between stops. The only true city driving I do is the last 3 miles to/from work typically. More lights/stops in that stretch than the previous 30miles combined. I wouldnt drive 45 on a hwy even if it netted me 30mpg in this thing. I dont have time for that nonsense.

Anyone that tries to hypermile a full size SUV needs slapped. If its light traffic and I have absolutely nothing to do I'll usually cruise upper 60s on the hwy. Its 55 where I'm at so that is still moving at a reasonable speed with regards to other traffic. That seems to get me my best mpg at a reasonable pace. I'll pay the price in mpg for the 15min it saves me each day not driving like grandma. That's like an extra week of time I dont spend in a vehicle at the end of a year.

I absolutely agree with you. That's why I said earlier if you drove that slow you'd die from boredom.
Anyone with a large SUV shouldn't be worried about fuel mileage anyways. I gripe all the time that they're pushing to make them more and more fuel-efficient it at the cost of engine longevity and durability and stuff like that. It's a 6000 pound tank. I'm certainly not worried about four five miles per gallon versus a little Honda.
I can see things both ways though because on a trip it's really not about the time. If you drive 80 miles an hour or push it pretty hard you only get there 15 or 20 minutes quicker in the average fairly long road trip versus driving 62 to 70.
I do get a kick out of being the GPS sometimes though. We were going to Louisville Kentucky one time to look at a car and we were in a GM Oldsmobile minivan but those things are quick and ride nicely. We got behind a brand new charger who was moving right along. We were at speeds pushing 90 miles an hour for quite a while. It's only about a three-hour trip. I think we ended up knocking 18 minutes off the original GPS time.
It's fun to do but kind of unnecessary when you're relaxing on a vacation or whatever what's another 20 minutes especially if it saves you 5 or $6 in fuel. I guess you might save ten bucks and fuel because the mileage disco down as you speed up.
As far as maximizing mileage. You have to get to your maximum speed slowly and stay there without stopping it at all. I have an Excursion stretch SUV that has the V10 in it and if you fill it up and then get on the highway and get up to 62 miles per hour and then reset the miles per gallon , it will hit 16.2 miles per gallon on the freeway. As soon as you come off an off-ramp though it starts to drop. Around town it never sees 10. It's lucky to see 9.1. I think 16.1 is very impressive in an almost 40 foot long vehicle. Some people don't get that in a standard Excursion but then again they actually give it gas may take off. In this thing it's basically driven like on an eggshell and the pedal is never pressed over a very small amount.