fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottf200

Reaction score
I've only put on 2000 miles or so (17K now) since I got it used.

Oddly I seem to be getting 0.5 to 1 mpg better with AWD instead of 2H. 2H on the '03 is supposed to disengage more moving parts and let the front wheels run free.

Anyone else have similar findings. Obviously I need to do some more testing but am filling up at the same locations just to make sure.

13+ city; hit 17 on the highway in AWD last weekend! Got a 23' Jayco Kiwi that will pull in a month or so...can't wait to see the mileage then:eek:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the new Expeditions, the manual says that the gas mileage isn't accurate until the engine has 1,000 miles on it. So if you have under 1k miles, don't bother checking to see what you get.

Kistler

Reaction score
Can the message center calculation/display of mpg be trusted? :) I get at the best 11 mpg while towing (55-65 mph) and can't get above 13 "in town" not towing. Needless to say we drive our economy car (Jeep GC) around most of the time.

Karl in MN

Reaction score
I have found that my message center cannot be totally trusted. Mine is consistently optimistic by 1 mpg.

OP
OP
G

With a mix of freeway and city my '03 Expo gets about 13.5ish but as we live in Phoenix that is with both front and rear AC cranked, I hope it will be a little better in the winter! *remaining optimistic*

OP
OP
G

I used to have a 98 E.B. 4X4 /5.4 had a 2 bank diablo chip (used 91 octane fuel) 3' custom exhaust with a drop off right before the axle, Airaid intake, airaid throttle body spacer, underdrive pulleys, and a 170 degree thermostat, i used to get 20 plus in the highway and 15 in the city. (Make sure you guys are running the right pressure on your tires, thats a big problem with gas mileage, use complete fuel system cleaner at least once a month. That should help out.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 EB EXPY 4x4

I got 18 MPG traveling 65 MPH (cruise control) while vehicle was in 2H (Drive from San Diego to Sacramento).

OP
OP
G

My wife is getting 14.8 in town- pretty good. That's with less than 2k miles so the engine hasn't loosened up yet.

Some reason, it drops .1 mpg when I drive it up the street. Must be my leadfoot.

Karl in MN

Reaction score
My quote from a year ago:

"After 1500 miles my best tank on a 2003 5.4 EB 4.4 is 13.5 mpg. A little disappointing so far."

I don't know if poor mileage is cold weather related or just the fact that the engine wasn't broken in last winter but I got 17-18 mpg consistently during the summer months during extended freeway stints. The best I ever got last winter, when the vehicle was new, was less than 14 mpg. I have never had an engine "break in" and have it's mileage improve but I am hoping that this may actually be a first for me. Time will tell now that winter is here again.