Fuel pump on a 2008 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thestilt

Reaction score
As the title said, need a new fuel pump.

Takes 3 primes in the morning to get started but fine once it's up and running. Eventually it will leave me stranded.

Rockauto has a Delphi Fg1205 for 150 ish delivered which seems reasonable. Anyone else have a recommendation before I pull the trigger?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but you have replaced the inline fuel filter first. If it’s the original it could be getting blocked, it’s very easy to change as it is outside of the gas tank (it’s located underneath the car, about where the drivers seat is). You need quick release pliers to undo the couplings on each end of the filter.. i would change it first even if it’s not the cause of your problem, it’s a good idea to change it) and then try the pump. Filter is a lot easier and cheaper than a pump..

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but you have replaced the inline fuel filter first. If it’s the original it could be getting blocked, it’s very easy to change as it is outside of the gas tank (it’s located underneath the car, about where the drivers seat is). You need quick release pliers to undo the couplings on each end of the filter.. i would change it first even if it’s not the cause of your problem, it’s a good idea to change it) and then try the pump. Filter is a lot easier and cheaper than a pump..
Definitely good advice. I swap my fuel filter out every 15,000. It is easy to do, costs less than $20, and helps fuel pump last longer. Depressurize the fuel system using the schrader valve on the fuel rail before you remove the old filter. I am hyperactive about this stuff, but you might also replace the fuel pump solenoid also, just so it doesn't leave you somewhere. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

thestilt

Reaction score
Ok that's a good shout. Hell of a lot easier and could fix it. Based on the standard of care this truck had before I purchased....100% the fuel filter has never been swapped out!