Garage Door Opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarge816

Reaction score
I have a 2015 EL just purchased and it absolutely refuses to program. I've scoured the forums and find all sorts of issues with programming the built-in 3 button garage door opener but nothing specific to my issues. I have a Genie Series II which works great and the external remote I have opens the garage from a block away so I know it works well. I attempt to program the visor unit with my external remote and it never programs properly. I've cleared memory on the garage door opener and the vehicle and started it all from scratch - everything programs perfectly except the truck.

I've successfully programmed a 2004 Yukon Denali and 2012 Acura MDX built in openers with no issues with the same exact garage door opener/remote but this Expedition is having none of it. Any secrets to getting this sucker programmed so I can stop using the outside keypad on our second car? Thanks.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Milan had the same issue, it was because it's a stupid Car2U remote, not a HomeLink remote, and they just don't program to the older Genie openers.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

I was able to program the garage door opener buttons for three separate openers (all Craftsman) on the first attempt.

Page 168 of the vehicle owner's manual has a toll free number and website listed you can call or go online for help? The manual states the system is HomeLink.

Pages 171 & 172 have specific programming steps and information for the Genie Series II opener that you have.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Milan had the same issue, it was because it's a stupid Car2U remote, not a HomeLink remote, and they just don't program to the older Genie openers.

The manual for my 2015 Expedition states the system is HomeLink.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't get my 2012 Expedition EL Limited to connect to the Chamberlain Whisper garage door opener. Have used multiple youtube videos and "tricks" and nothing works.

OP
OP
S

sarge816

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

Pages 171 & 172 have specific programming steps and information for the Genie Series II opener that you have.
Nice truck, ours is also 4x4 Limited EL, the only one I could find in Texas fully loaded with tow package, rear suspension adjust and white metallic.

I followed the directions in the manual, which is the same way I've been programming our other vehicles for years. This one does not program, so I may have to call that number. Wondering if purchasing a newer remote from Home Depot might do the trick...

Thanks everyone for input.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the HomeLink version in my truck and had no issues programming it. However, the range is very unimpressive; it has a max range of about 30 ft. Meanwhile, the LiftMaster 371LM remote I picked up on eBay for $18 for my wife's car can, literally, open the door from 2 blocks away. If the built-in remote is giving you a hard time, you may just want to go ahead and get a standalone. It will almost certainly work better anyway.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm on my third drivers sun visor (first two reused to remain up), all with HomeLink. Programmed easily although the range ain't great and closing the door is sometimes a problem. I took the remote unit out of unit #2 (like a dummy I threw #1 away) and installed it hidden under the dashboard of my Honda S2000. Works fine there too. Chamberlain and Genie door openers. All I did was read the manuals. :)

skeeter

Reaction score
If it has a house shape above the center button then its a Homelink otherwise it's the other version. They do not program the same way. Homelink is a universal opener that you must use a remote to program. Car2U is a rolling code opener that you push the learn button on the door opener then press and hold Car2U button. I have a older Chamberlin unit (2006) that took a few tries but eventually the Car2U worked. This is a nice link that may help you. http://www.mattford.com/blog/how-to-program-ford-homelink-and-car2u-garage-door-openers/