Gas Tank Itringulis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CymruArgie

Reaction score
Hi guys, as I am getting used to my recently acquired FE 06, I keep getting questions. The tank is supposed to hold 28 gall, right? Ok here is what, when I got it, the tank was showing near empty, touching the red line. I filled up and I could only get 19 gallon in.

Now I drove it in the city and now it is about the same spot on the red line, but I see that I had driven roughly 200 miles, all in the city. That would mean if I have used about 20 gallon, that I am getting just about 10 miles per gallon.

Any idea, suggestion about the two issues above?

Thanks a lot!
JC

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably just a bad sending unit on the fuel pump assembly. What does the message center fuel mileage readout say ? You should see 16-18 mpg routinely. Might just need a new fuel pump assembly.

OP
OP
C

CymruArgie

Reaction score
I do not have a message center only a mini I think is called. Is this supposed to show the info as well?

BTW, is it possible to install a full message center?

Thanks
JC

keg914

Reaction score
My 03 is similar, but after I have replaced the fuel pump. I used to fill up my tank when it was basically dry to about 28 gallons. This is what the spec says these Expys hold normally. Well, I upgraded a few things on the bottom end of my truck, and in the process dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Now if I fill up from empty, I only get 25 gallons when filled up, give or take. I'm blaming the new sending unit that came with the new pump. Still getting about 13-14 mpg when I do the math though. So I would guess that maybe your pump/sending unit was replaced sometime in that trucks past as well.