Gas gauge stopped working AND cannot put in any gas in my 2011 XLT 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfgheist

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expedition XLT 2WD and am having the following issues.
- Gas gauge stopped working and said empty tank when it was full right after a fill up at QT.
- Cannot put even a 1/2 gallon of gas super slow in before clicking.

When the gas gauge stopped working, I figured I would just fill up every 200 miles until I got the time to replace the fuel pump, but then after driving 200 miles, I found I could not put gas in. I am now around 450 miles and have only been able to get 2-3 gallons in 1/2 gallon steps over several days and figure I will run out at any time.

I replaced the charcoal canister and that did not help any of the issues. Everything looked clean when I took the old one off, but I tried it anyway.

When I went to disconnect the tank to drop it, gas was pouring out when I disconnected the fill hose from the tank. Eventually that all drained out, but when if I put my finger in the fill connecter on the tank where I disconnected the fill house and push 'something' in there, gas pours out like crazy. Not sure how a nearly empty tank can pour out so much gas from the top of the tank when I push in that connecter.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is the tank crushed or distorted in any way? Perhaps it got sucked dry and jammed the float and the vent? I have noticed with my 01, that ethanol gas vapor creates some sort of sugars that fungus grows on. The area around the filler got very black with the stuff and required a lot of scrubbing to clean off. I have no doubt the canister and tank have this stuff growing inside.

OP
OP
W

Wolfgheist

Reaction score
Tank looks completely perfect and the truck has never been in an accident. When I took the vapor canister off, it was completely clean, no dust, no charcoal or anything inside. There was a little bit of gas in it, but that is probably from overflowing trying to get gas in the tank. No fungus, or black stuff or anything. Looks like new other than some road dust.

How far should I be able to poke something in the tank where I disconnected the fill tube? 2 inches? 20 inches?

I was surprised when I pushed my finger in the tank nipple where the fill tube was connected and gas poured out of an empty tank, lol.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tank looks completely perfect and the truck has never been in an accident. When I took the vapor canister off, it was completely clean, no dust, no charcoal or anything inside. There was a little bit of gas in it, but that is probably from overflowing trying to get gas in the tank. No fungus, or black stuff or anything. Looks like new other than some road dust.

How far should I be able to poke something in the tank where I disconnected the fill tube? 2 inches? 20 inches?

I was surprised when I pushed my finger in the tank nipple where the fill tube was connected and gas poured out of an empty tank, lol.
On my 2001, I once tried to siphon some suspected bad gasoline from the tank. Despite using a very narrow plastic hose, I could not get it into the tank. There is a screen or ledge just before the filler meets the tank designed to stop siphoning. It may also be a check valve to prevent fuel from leaking if the vehicle is on its side or roof.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Award tells you not deciphon from the tanks on their pickups and their expeditions the way the baffle system sets up in there and three trap doors you will tear things up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett