Gasoline sloshing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmikul

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 2012 Limited and notice that I can hear the gas sloshing around in the tank when I brake and accelerate.

In the 10yrs of driving my old Expy I never heard this.

Is this normal? One of Ford's upgraded designs?

I've never thought about it before till I heard this but I would guess a baffling system in the tank would prevent this???

On the upside I LOVE>LOVE>LOVE that they finally have a muted turn signal. That damn old one was loud enough that even if they didn't see your lights they would hear your blinker.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't the washer fluid reservoir? I find that if its really low I can hear it moving around, but have never heard anything from the fuel tank in my 2008.

OP
OP
C

Cmikul

Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't the washer fluid reservoir? I find that if its really low I can hear it moving around, but have never heard anything from the fuel tank in my 2008.

Pretty sure it's not the washer reservoir. I believe that is in the engine bay and only holds about 1 gallon of liquid.

The sound comes from the rear driver side and sounds like 20 gallons of liquid moving forward and aft when I brake and take off.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, purchased new, now with 6,*** miles. It is the standard length with the 28 gallon fuel tank.

I have never heard gasoline sloshing, with the windows up or down. I usually never let my fuel tank drop below one-half, but recently added Techron PLUS fuel injector cleaner and filled the tank. It is now about one-quarter full and still no sloshing.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got an '11 EL Limited and no sloshing sound here either. Of course, my tail end is in another zip code so I'm not sure if I would hear the muffler dragging on the ground. :p

OP
OP
C

Cmikul

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership.
Had several people ride and listen and the consensus is its the gas tank.

If it's normal then it is what it is.
But it sounds like it's not normal from forum feedback.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never heard sloshing in my 2012 standard length expy or from my 2007 expy either. I don't think its normal.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mystery solved, there was water in my door.

This concerns me a bit as you're the second person to post about this issue in the last month or so. :/ Corrosion is a big enough issue in PA as it is; I don't need anything adding fuel to the fire. :/

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you have to pull the plugs out of the bottom of the doors every once in a wile and make sure it is draining. Especially if you park under or near trees or live in a very dirty area.