GEM part number vs Engineering number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jill Clark

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition named Diamond. :) She's a great ride, but needs some help. A few weeks ago I noticed the defroster was staying on after I shut off the ignition, but it stopped doing it. This morning, the windshield wipers and windows worked only after trying them both a few times. On my way to work, a series of three beeps repeating three times started. (I was so o_O that I did a short video and sent to my son.) When I went out for a break, the temp/heat/ac display was blinking on and off and I could hear a clicking sound. :eek: Google became my best friend and this is what I've learned:

1. My windshield has probably been leaking into the GEM. The windshield needs replaced anyway, so getting that done tomorrow.

2. Trying to find the GEM part number without tearing crap apart was a challenge, so finally called the local Ford dealership. They didn't give me a part number, but an "engineering" number. Looking at part numbers online for a new GEM, I noticed most part numbers start with XL1F, but the number Ford gave me for my vehicle starts with EL1J. The rest of the numbers match up.

3. I found that the three beeps may be the airbag warning.

Monday night, yesterday and this morning we've had rain - yesterday was a downpour all day. Thinking back, when the defroster went wonky the first time, we had a bunch of snow dumped on us followed by a thaw that happened over the weekend, so this what has me convinced it's a moisture issue getting into the GEM. This afternoon I noticed its not acting up like it was this morning, but its been dryer, so wondering if its drying out and working correctly again. I'm already shopping for a GEM as well.

Any insight, advice or help would be greatly appreciated.